• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford Park Photos Please

chocks2

master brummie
O.K All you experts, prove me right.
I was talking about Fun Fairs with friends the other day and I told them that I used to go to a fair in Salford Park. It was only there one or two days a year and it was sited in a field at the back of the park. I remember that you had to go across the river to get to it. There was also power boat racing on the resa' on the same weekend. No one believes me but I'm sure I'm right What was the event, Was It Carnival time? I kind of remember that carnival floats went into Salford Park but I may be confusing the two events. Please sort this out for me and prove me sane.
Cheers!

Chocks I have vague memories of a small fair but I will phone my brother in the morning as he is ten years my senior and would remember more and will ask about the boat racing too. He would remember as he used to race bikes just up from Salford Park. Jean.

Remember it well, it was hydroplane racing on the reservoir, when it was much bigger than it is now, it was made smaller when they re-routed the river to make way for part of spaghetti junction.

Brian

Pete said it wasn't Salford Park but Brookvale where they held the races. They also did water skiing. He used to wait for them to finish then set his rods up to fish. Jean.

Hi Jean, I spent many a happy hour in Salford park with my mates watching the hydroplanes on race days, we used to like to watch them put the boats in the water down the concrete ramp in the far corner of the reservoir ,without a shadow of a doubt it was Salford park, happy days.

Brian

Will go tick him off Froth he can only remember Brookvale so maybe he didn't fish at Salford. I did used to sneak out when mom and dad were at work and catch as many as the experts with the cheapest of equipment. Don't remember the boats as I was only there when I wasn't supposed to be during the week. Do remember a small fair though. Jean.

hi jean
yes i am very sorry but you will have to go and slap pete,s wrist
and send him to bed with no tea , because he,s telling you porky
our freind is quite truthly telling you the truth it was what he said
the racing was done in the resser on a full water filled resser
long before the old spaggetti interuption
and the stalls was on entry to the resser only a couple mind you .
and the couple of rides was over the brook [ meaning the river]
i was only a kid then and i thought how mingie they was only
supplying a couple of rides for us kids at the time
there was some boating down on brookvale of yaughts at a different
period as i recall it , so your pete ain,t that bad after alll
so don,t slapp is wrist after all just send him to bed with no tea .
jean , have a nice day best wishes astonian ..

I believe there was power boats on both the resevoir and Brookvale Parks but it was later banned on Brookervale Park because of the damage done to the Banks plus the noise, I lived at nearby Hillside Rd and we could hear the noise from there, not that it bothered me. Eric

Will go tick him off Froth he can only remember Brookvale so maybe he didn't fish at Salford. I did used to sneak out when mom and dad were at work and catch as many as the experts with the cheapest of equipment. Don't remember the boats as I was only there when I wasn't supposed to be during the week. Do remember a small fair though. Jean.

hope you dont mind my little input but in the mid sixties they also built a stage for this event and i saw the the barren nights one year and the tornadoes another year
ash

Thanks for that Ash. My parents took my baby twins there one night to give us a break and go out on our own. We used to walk them in their prams and had a few hours fishing. Caught my biggest perch ever there. TTFN. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi Chocks i remember going to the fairs at Salford park which were held twice a year
used to have a lot ofside shows.
had some good times at the fair.

tomorrow never comes

Hi Chocks i remember going to the fairs at Salford park which were held twice a year
used to have a lot ofside shows.
had some good times at the fair.

tomorrow never comes

Cheers Richard.
Yea, I seem to remember a lot of side shows there too.
Chocks

Re Fun Fairs, I only joined yesterday so am very new to both computers and forums. I remember going to quite large Fun Fairs somewhere in Aston, Nechells area pre war which, from what I remember,was held once a year and was called " The Onion Fair" , why I don,t know.
I remember "The Resa" very well, even when it was frozen over and people were skating on it, aslo I used to go fishing and boating there.
Cheers "Roverman"

Re Fun Fairs, I only joined yesterday so am very new to both computers and forums. I remember going to quite large Fun Fairs somewhere in Aston, Nechells area pre war which, from what I remember,was held once a year and was called " The Onion Fair" , why I don,t know.
I remember "The Resa" very well, even when it was frozen over and people were skating on it, aslo I used to go fishing and boating there.
Cheers "Roverman"

Loads on here about the Onion Fair Roverman. Just do a search and you'll find it..
I can remember boating on the Resa' but I don't ever remember seeing it frozen over.
Chocks.

Thanks for your reply "Chocks" I think it was the winter of 1939/40 when the resa was frozen, you are obviously far to young to remember that far back.Thanks also for the info re the Onion Fair.
"Roverman"

hi choccks 2
there was never an onion fair in the ressa at salford park and yes there used to people used to skate on the ressa at salford park
the onion fair was always next to the aston parish church where i was achoir boy there and it was on the aston hall rd
it was a massive waste ground i would not like to estimate its size of the land but it was massive but thats where the biggest and brightest fair was held
and it was draped with large sacks and loose onions all over the arch entranceto go in marked with a couple of french men dressed in there striped burglars shitrs and beria
with there onions hanging around there necks greeting you as you walk in
in the later years there was a fair that was put up on the rear field of the resa which where the river from through
but beleive me it was not what i call a fair it was an unknown fair people just starting out if you asked me and it was very limited to number of rides and no stall for prizes
just a hand full of rides it came for afew times and then it died off never to be seen there
therse skaters was on ice it was in the early forties to early fifties when we used to get really bad conditions of artic weather by mid fifties things change andpeople stopped doing it because it was not thick as the years went bye and the boating was alwaways packed most days of the week sundays was the worst
as some one as mentioned to yoy there is a sight on the google or the web page of this forum you will learn more about it
in the early fifties salford brought in a cycle race track as time went on it got very popular on sundays and then they started to have official race meeting there
and as far i am aware its still being used today
have a nice day and dont forget to wear your poppy with pride today at elen oclock best wishes astonion

in the early fifties salford brought in a cycle race track as time went on it got very popular on sundays and then they started to have official race meeting there
and as far i am aware its still being used today

Astonian, the cycle track is no more and I'm sure some member will know more about that, Graham.

Back