• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford Park

rosielab

knowlegable brummie
My dad and I use to fish at Salford park I can remember coming out of Salford park ready to go home there were loads of people with flags dad said they were German supporters coming from Villa Park it was the world cup in 1966 I loved going for a days fishing with my dad unusual for a girl I even meet my hubby though fishing

LOZELLIAN

master brummie
My dad and I use to fish at Salford park I can remember coming out of Salford park ready to go home there were loads of people with flags dad said they were German supporters coming from Villa Park it was the world cup in 1966 I loved going for a days fishing with my dad unusual for a girl I even meet my hubby though fishing
Hiya Rosielab,

I remember well some of the world cup matches played at Villa Park in 1966, great days they were too, even more rewarding for you was the fact that you met your husband through our much loved pastime. All the best,

Lozellian.

rosielab

knowlegable brummie
Yes it was happy memories my hubby was my dad's fishing friend I use to go with my 3 uncle's and my dad fishing all over the West midlands the first time I went I fell in my mom never found out or I would not been aloud to go again

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The pool was drained to build the expressway and all the fish moved to Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. There was a TV article and an enormous pike taken out.

Brookvale Park was always a decent fishing lake, but Witton lakes seemed to be polluted. Within a few days there were thousands of dead fish washed up, which I assumed were from Salford Pool.
56108FAC-ADA4-49CB-B8EC-A6D47007F32C.jpegF8F39CD2-675D-410A-B019-26E981BD8157.jpeg

The first attempt to gather the fish from Salford Park September 1967...The 37,000 that got away...

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Bad picture as usual from the Birmingham Daily Post of October 1967 of the further attempt to remove the fish from Salford Park...

DC890429-21A8-4649-B2D6-F05C39FE5874.jpeg

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
It suggests that someone, who made the decision to move the fish, did not do any ecological research beforehand.
Another example of why animals and other creatures are always in second place when developments take place.
9F9EFED8-E833-4B6F-9198-C87631DD6183.jpeg
Oh dear! They thought more about fish than people!

Radiorails

master brummie
Another report, probably written in the bar of the nearest pub. Designed to antagonise and increase circulation. Press reports often are and have frequently been quite wide of the mark. When I read reports of fires I attended it often seemed that they were writing about a completely different occurrence to the one I was at. Years of news reports have made me quite cynical. :)

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Another report, probably written in the bar of the nearest pub. Designed to antagonise and increase circulation. Press reports often are and have frequently been quite wide of the mark. When I read reports of fires I attended it often seemed that they were writing about a completely different occurrence to the one I was at. Years of news reports have made me quite cynical. :)
While you may be right about Press reports in many cases, this one reports the words of Councilor Barton. He no doubt wished to antagonise certain sections, but would do so with the full backing of many residents in the area, including myself.

The M6 link passed with 200 yards and we were about half a mile from the Junction. Of course we never had a dog's chance of preventing the project and had to live in the polution.

Radiorails

master brummie
Indeed major road works can blight peoples lives. lasting for many years. The problem with some town and road re-developments is that by the time they are conceived, debated - with claim and counter claim - and eventually constructed the reason for their need sometimes has gone. Planners often fail to put 'human nature' into the equation, consequently it is often their own ideas that come to the fore. Many pedestrianized zones in towns and cities are not good shopping areas for the shop owners. Whilst people find it easy to move around, their attitudes become relaxed and not totally focussed on shopping. Lots of people (mainly those under 60 ;) ) favour the hustle and bustle of shopping centres which creates a 'want to buy' feeling.
I admit I enjoyed the crowds and activity of Birmingham as a youngster, but as I have, since the age of sixteen lived in small places, I soon lost that viewpoint.