• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salford House Erdington Birmingham

jamesg1977

master brummie
On the site of what is now Kegworth Rd Erdington there was a house called Salford House would anyone information on this or any of the owners/occupations, would really be interested to know when it was constructed/demolished?

Thanks

James Gibson

Looks as though you have been trying to trace the history of this house for sometime now James. Have you tried Erdington Library? That is the one place where they may be able to help. They have an active History Group that operates out of there as well as having reference material of local items. Otherwise, the Reference Section of the Main Library in Birmingham is a place to ask about Salford House. There isn't much left of the buildings on Copeley Hill these days, just a special needs home at 55 Copeley Hill which has photos on the Liberty Care Homes site. I looked it up on Google earth as well. I remember Burlington House which, of course has long gone. When Spaghetti Junction was built it wiped out the lovely open country feel of this area.

Hi JennyAnn

Its always been a fascination for me since i was a child, in the mid eighties i lived with my grandparents at no20 Kegworth Rd. One afternoon my neighbour was trying to sink posts for a new fence when they hit brickwork upon digging they found lots of broken brickwork and some pottery! My mom who has always been keen on local history started researching the site of where we lived and found Salford House. She found that a Thomas Gammon a local glass manufacturer lived there also at one point in time a spinster called Sarah Boulton. From looking at the ordanance survey map of the time it looked like a big house. What makes it more interesting for me is the fact that as a child in that house on three occasions i saw ghosts! Im a natural skeptic to such things but i still cannot explain what i saw and felt as a child in that house. Im nearly 35 now and it still fascinates me. Recently i discovered that a former American Civil War Soldier owned the house. I would love to know how close to our home the building was and what it looked like.

Regards

James

James open the thread "Trafalgar Street Nechells" I put a map on *2 the spelling is wrong(as we know it)but it may have been correct at the time. Dek

Dek

Thats the one!! So it was their as early as 1813 then WOW! Would you say that Salford House was a considersable size? I notice too that this is pre Burlington House also!

Dek

Thats the one!! So it was their as early as 1813 then WOW! Would you say that Salford House was a considersable size? I notice too that this is pre Burlington House also!

James

James I have no other info only the map it certainly looks dominant on the hill, must have been a house of good standing.Dek

Hello James,how did you get the year 1813 as the map is dated 1866 by Mikejee on post*11 of the Trafalgar thread the railway lines can be clearly seen and would not have been there at the early date.Dek

Dek

I got the date from post #1 , my mistake, however the date 1866 is not attached to the picture in post #2 which is where i saw the aforementioned map, however i have just scrolled down to post #11 and have seen the date you mention. Quite honestly wasnt looking out for the railway lines on the map. However it does pre-date Copeley Hill and Burlington House.

I dont know how to attach pictures to the thread but i have found a map of 1921 and the building is still there but is called Hillside House and adjacent to it is a similar sized property called The Highlands.

James

O.K. James at least it was there pre 1866 as the railway appears to cut through the grounds. I think it,s a good assumption to say the house was there considerably earlier than that date.The map shows 2 buildings within the grounds maybe stables or maybe the plot got broken up due to the railway on the front doorstep so to speak and one of the buildings became Highland House just a notion. Dek

In the 1850 directory there is a
Gammon Mr Thomas Salford House

in the 1849 directory there is a
Gammon Thomas Glass manufacturer; house Slade rd Erdington

Gammon & sons glass manufacturers Belmont Glass Works Gt Brook St

I think you have an excellent point there Dek, do you know of any way of comparing the map you showed me with googlemaps? Just to get an idea of where those buildings would have lay? The idea is a longshot i know but just curious

I think you have an excellent point there Dek, do you know of any way of comparing the map you showed me with googlemaps? Just to get an idea of where those buildings would have lay? The idea is a longshot i know but just curious
Sorry James I,m not that clever But lets hope someone else can. From the map it shows the house on the Witton side of the railway but I know for sure the line is cut through a deep gulley at that point I would say it was on the top of the hill between the railway the the old GEC sport grounds. Dek

Below is the 1890 OS map superimposed fully and with 50% transparency on google. The older map on the thread was horribly different (lichfield rd, railways and slade road were all at incorrect angles, and didn't seem to be in a true verticsl north-south position) and couldn't be superimposed

1890_map_superimposed_on_google_for_Salford_house_1.jpg

1890_map_superimposed_on_google_for_Salford_house_2.jpg

That is amazing Mikejee thankyou so much! Its looking more and more likely now that my old address 20 Kegworth Rd sits right on top of where Salford House used to stand!

Regards

James

The old OS is remarkably accurate. Gosh a perfect match. Brilliant. I wish I could do that. The GEC Magnet Club is upper left.

Its not too difficult Rupert, just can be very fiddly, as you have to keep adjusting the magnification of the view on Google Earth until it is the same (as far as you can tell) as that of the map . The facility is built into google earth (not google maps). In seme parts of Brum it can be difficult because there are so few points remaining on the ground that occur on the map.

The past residents of Salford House (from post office directories - thanks to Shera)
1849 - Gammon Thomas - glass manufacturer - Salford House, Gravelly Hill (also found by horsencart post #16)
1866 - Chamberlain Joseph Butler esq - Salford House, Gravelly Hill
1868 - Lunt Mr. Richard - Salford House, Slade Lane
1872 - Clive Henry - Salford House, Gravelly Hill

1864 - Salford House was advertised to Let and stated 'Late in the occupation of Mr Chamberlain' so he may have already left by the time the 1866 directory was available (There was a Joseph Butler Chamberlain also listed at The Woodlands, Moseley in the same 1866 directory)
1889 - Salford house was advertised to be let or sold and stated that it was in the occupation of Mr. R H Clive.

The adverts give an idea of the size of the house and what it may have been like.
Birmingham Daily Post:
1861 - April 11th - cook wanted - used to managing a small dairy.
1862 - April 21st - strong boy wanted - accustomed to farm service
1862 - May 28th - to be sold 21 ewes and 32 lambs

Attachments

• 1861_sakford_cook_Thursday2C_April_112C.JPG
    1861_sakford_cook_Thursday2C_April_112C.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1862_salford_boy_Monday2C_April_212C.JPG
    1862_salford_boy_Monday2C_April_212C.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1862_salford_sheep_Wednesday2C_May_282C.JPG
    1862_salford_sheep_Wednesday2C_May_282C.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 11
This advert from the Birmingham Journal indicates the size of the house and the estate.
1864 - December 31st - Salford house to let.

Attachments

• 1864_salford_house_to_let_31_dec.JPG
    1864_salford_house_to_let_31_dec.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 16
1879 - August 14th - Lady recommending a nurse - apply Salford House, Gravelly Hill
1883 - September 1st - Lady recommending a cook - address Mrs R H Clive, Salford House
1889 - September 27th - Salford House, Slade Road, Gravelly Hill, to be let or sold - in the occupation of Mr R H Clive

Attachments

• 1879_salford_nurse_reccomend_Thursday2C_August_142C.JPG
    1879_salford_nurse_reccomend_Thursday2C_August_142C.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1883_salford_recommend_cook_Saturday2C_September_12C.JPG
    1883_salford_recommend_cook_Saturday2C_September_12C.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1889_salford_house_to_let_Friday2C_September_272C.JPG
    1889_salford_house_to_let_Friday2C_September_272C.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 7
Birmingham Daily Post
1890 - September 27th - indoor Gardener wanted.
1891 - April 22nd - sewing maid wanted -must understand dress making - address Mrs Ratcliffe Hoare, Salford House
1891 - June 18th - Gardener wanted must understand vines and glass and youth wanted to help in garden and be generally useful.
1892 - February 9th - Gardner wanted - indoors - must understand vines and glass - apply R Hoare

I am not sure if Mrs Ratcliffe Hoare and R Hoare are the householders or possibly housekeeper and estate manager?

Attachments

• 1890_salford_gardener_Saturday2C_September_272C.JPG
    1890_salford_gardener_Saturday2C_September_272C.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1891_salford_sewing_maid_Wednesday2C_April_222C.JPG
    1891_salford_sewing_maid_Wednesday2C_April_222C.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 8
  • 1891_salford_gardener_vines_Thursday2C_June_182C.JPG
    1891_salford_gardener_vines_Thursday2C_June_182C.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1892_salford_gardener_vines_Tuesday2C_February_92C.JPG
    1892_salford_gardener_vines_Tuesday2C_February_92C.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 8
Those job papers are really interesting to see many thanks for sharing them, so i guess no photos of the house have come to light as yet??

Many thanks Ricco,,

I was very interested to read about Salford house. The R H Clive mentioned was my gt gt uncle. And Henry Clive was his father. Henry made his fortune by being a gun barrel borer. He left Salford house, leaving Robert Clive to live there, and Henry went to live at Slade house. This house is now the brookvale club, I believe, on Anchorage rd. I have a copy of Henry's will which describes Slade house and his stable of horses and carriages. I would be happy to send anyone a copy of the will if they wished. Would love to see any photos of the house before it became a working mans club, if any exist that is.

When I was looking at the directory listings for Residents of Salford House I noticed the following listings for 'Clive'.
is this the same family at another residence - possibly close to Salford House?
1866 Mr. Henry Clive was listed at Highfield House, Gravelly Lane.
1868 Clive Henry Esq. Highfield House, Gravelly Hill
1872 Mrs Clive, Highfield House, Erdington

Back