• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford bridge

Pedrocut, my husband was just telling me about the Irish workers when I opened your post. Really interesting, thank you.
i worked on the jnk and m6 in1971-3 as a auto electrician maintaning the trucks nd plant for douglas plant.i worked day and night. the money was very good but not a lot of it, one day being exhausted i went to thr loo and slept 24 hour in there lol.what a great job and gang of blokes.:grinning:

There was an enormous sewage farm to the east of Salford Bridge, where sewage was spread on fields. this was developed from 1865. The purchase of esome of the land is mentioned in the 150 years thread recently. When treatment methods improved and bacterial filtration was introduced in 1898, the area was considerably reduced.
and it wasl full of rabbits, too we had a field day as kids catching and floging them .you could cut through and come out in aston church rd

Last edited:
It is an Hillman Imp and maybe it has rolled down the slope from the scrap car place in the background. I owned an Hillman Imp at the time the photo was taken .... a nice little car most of the time ... :)

This is a photo of my aunt taken in Bridge Road in the early 1960's probably. The reason for posting is that in the background is the outdoor which once stood in Leamington Road. Next to it is the alley leading to the canal. I always thought it was a little further down Leamington Road but realised that I would have come out of Nan's house by the back door and along the right of way, turning right at the bottom. This is the only photo I've seen showing Leamington Road.
I can still smell the wooden floor/spilled beer aroma and see the copper counter with the brass pulls.

Attachments

• Lilian Bennett 2.jpg
    Lilian Bennett 2.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 43
This picture from Tales from the inland waterways by Corrie, Euan. Publication date 2005, shows Element's Wharf, or
Salford Bridge Wharf and the firm T and S Elements.
On this thread Lady P has posted pictures, one being a view from Salford Bridge. Putting the two together….
6EC85D81-395B-42B4-8EDF-5E13D21F18A7.jpeg

very similar pic at same location

389851002567dbb9374c7232037f161d--leamington-canal-boat.jpg

Thanks Everyone, that sounds more likely to be muck doesn't it? I'd forgotten about the sewage farm and yet my Gt Uncle Edward worked there in the early part of the 20thC. He died from typhoid caught there. He was only in his 20's and left a widow and small daughter.

The Medical Officer’s Report for 1898 stated that “in the June quarter two cases of Diphtheria (one fatal) were notified. In the one case (non-fatal) the origin of the disease could not be discovered, but the other occurred at Tyburn on the edge of the Sewage Farm, in one of the cottages belonging to the Drainage Board. This, I have no doubt, was due to the condition of this part of the Farm, which for many months was in a very unsatisfactory state. In the September quarter, five cases, two fatal, were reported, and four of these were in close propinquity to the Sewage Farm, and I have little doubt that they were due to its insanitary condition.”

Is this the Sewage Farm shown on the 1889 OS Map below ?

F2F812A1-2AB3-473B-93D7-4424A5BC85A9.jpeg

That was my initial thought before noticing a sewage farm just behind the Tyburn House. I will check if there are any further clues in the reports. (Notice that both have cottages associated)

Most certainly that sewage Farm by the Tyburn did extend past Minworth and Curdworth as far as the A446 Lichfield Road. It was an enormous undertaking just due to the way the sewage was treated and spread on farmland. The modern Minworth site is only a tiny fraction of the size. Both these site employed a lot of manual workers moving the soil around, so not surprised there were typhoid incidents.

There is a mention of a sale of fat stock at the Tyburn Sewage Farm in 1898… At Home Farm,Tyburn.

In 1881 there was a proposal to buy a further 48 acres of land at Tyburn for use as a new sewage farm. An opportunity to utilise an outlying and disconnected suitable place. The total lands being 867 acres.

Back