• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford bridge

Thanks Eric, yes it was the road on this side of Slade Road I meant. I keep trying to remember what the name of the road parallel to Bridge Road was. They both ran from Leamington Road to Copeley Hill. I believe it was Woodlands Road? An entry ran between the two to the back gardens. Any idea when The Erdington Arms was built? It couldn't have been very old.

It's due to the building of Spaghetti Junction in 1972 some 45 years ago (before my time)! Including the M6, Aston Expressway A38(M) and all the other connecting roads in the sky. The railways, canals and the River Tame are still there all under that though.

Salford Bridge was a big part of my childhood ellbrown. My parents met there in the early 1930's (on the monkey run) and my grandparents lived in Bridge Road. I used to go on the tram at first and then the 65 bus.

priceless photos pen..i agree with you about the cooling towers..they have that haunting look..

wonder if the erdington arms is still there..would imagine not but hope i am wrong...

lyn

Not the building Lyn. the Armada seems to be at about the same place, but not sure if it is still open (it is on google maps, but that is 2014

oh silly me mike now i have my bearings..of course you are right should have remembered as i did a bit of research on the erdington arms some years back i think thats slade road to the left of it..the armada building is still there cant be certain if its still open now though...

thanks mike

Still up for sale but there were a lot of cars outside today plus several vans. Maybe it was a viewing?
#16 forgot to say my Dad was born in Bridge Road.

ellbrown, do you think the 'island' in your post #11 is the same one as my second picture #7?

Hi mike
The Armarda was orininal called the ship then called the armarda on the corna of slade road before spaggitti
And long before that the old original salford bridge had little tiny shops on it one was a news agents
Along with the tram tun around back to the city
I recall these days and i also recall the tram crashes and turn overs more than once
All these old photographs was shangedhi by some nasty people whom have deprived us all
As some one recently said these old photographs will fetch a few bob in the not so distance future
There is some one putting these old picture on the phones as my old dutchess keeps showing me
which have been on this forum in the past , a couple of years ago my daughter got me a photograph
Of old birmingham from france when i asked her where she obtained it along with an very old bottle
Still getting back on to the subject of the bridge it would be nice if some one can produce a picture of the old bridge from the thirtys and fortys with all the little shops on best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

ellbrown, I'm not very good at reading these google images but I think it's the same one. Trying to get my bearings and I've just driven up the Lichfield Road (in my mind) and then I pass it before going left to Slade Road. It's hard to match up what pre-Spaghetti was to what it is now. There seemed to be a lot more than the space would allow. I suppose it's like when you take a tent down, the floor space seems much too small.

Astonian, I don't think the shops changed very much from when I first went in the early 50's to when they were knocked down. There are some of the shops in post #6 but here are a few of earlier ones which may have been on another thread. I think the last one is already on this thread but it has the shops.

Attachments

• Salford Bridge A.jpg
    Salford Bridge A.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Tram 647  Gravelly Hill, Erdington Arms.jpg
    Tram 647 Gravelly Hill, Erdington Arms.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Salford Bridge  New Road Aston B83.jpg
    Salford Bridge New Road Aston B83.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 81
IMG_1471.jpg
The Salford Bridge as it is now with the Aston Expressway / Spaghetti Junction above it.

Down to the Tame Valley Canal

Towards Salford Circus

Salford Bridge from the Tame Valley Canal

Tame Valley Canal from the Salford Bridge

Thanks for the pictures. I found the following in the Archive concerning the opening of Salford Bridge in 1926...

Sir Arthur Herbert Drummond Ramsay Steel-Maitland (to give him his full name), opens the new Sanford Bridge in October 1926...note that he alludes to the coal stoppage as wholly unnecessary. He was MP for Erdington from 1918 to 1929, and Tamworth 1928 to 1935.

It appears that "A new residential area of Erdington had a road named after Arthur Steel-Maitland in December 2016."

I see we have a plaque to commemorate 40 years of being poisoned!

Hi Ladypenelope
many thanks for the picture and i wass around there in the fiftys
the ones i wanted and hoped to have seen was the early ones up to the fortys
and of course the big huge turn around table where they cranked the turn table around for the tram to head back to the city
best wishes Astonian,,,,,

No problem Pedro.

LadyP - got this photo of the Salford Bridge with the M6 going over it. I think it's the direction heading north west.

On the Google Map, the M6 is to the left, and the canal island is on the right.

Lady P, the area was great when we moved there in 1962 and though there was considerable disruption when the M6 and spaghetti was built it was still a nice area to live (Hillside Rd in my case). It started to change end of 70's, all our old neighbours started to leave and we followed suit in 1987 and moved to Chelmsley Wood. Sorry to leave after 25 years but we could see the way it was going. Re the Pub , it could have been called the Amada and not the Erdington Arms, (Frothy would know), locally it was known as the Muckman from the days when the 'night soil' gentlemen frequented it. Eric

Nov 1890, Birmingham Daily Post…The Strange death of an Aston Guardian..

A cabman said that the deceased man got into his cab to go to Minworth. He was the worse for drink. On the way the deceased called at the Muckman’s Rest…The Coroner…”Naturally for repose, (laughter) that’s hardly a respectable name for a Guardian’s place of call. The Erdington Arms, isn’t it?” Witness…”Well the Muckman’s Rest is what we cabmen call it…”

Hi Eric & Pedrocut, I have heard that the Muckman was so called because the dustmen used to call in there but I'm sure my Dad said it was something to do with the maltsters taking the waste away. I wonder if the pub did their own brewing? Perhaps this was their last stop before home? Not sure of the brewing process but there must be waste as the end of it.

Ellbrown, I'm sure it's the same island now that you have posted those pics. Thank you. Not much to show for what was there before is there?

Back