• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salford bridge

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi cromwell
you have brought some memories back to m y childhood days
having been brought up on the lichfield rd near the old bridge
if you can recall there was always bottle necks on that end of the lichfield rd
because of the old turntable , turn around for the trams
because they had to hold the traffic up whilst they whinched the tram around back to the city centre , itt was worst in the old smog days
i can remember most of the shops there as well
have a nice day , best wishes your old mate astonian ,

Cromwell, that is a photo I haven't seen before of Salford Bridge. We mostly took the 78 from Stockland Green down Slade Road and on to Salford Bridge. I can remember everything from that area pre Spaghetti Junction days. I noticed that there was a clock on one of the buildings on the right hand side when going up Lichfield Road at Salford Bridge. I have no memory of that.
I do remember a garage further down on the left hand side. Not sure of the name...began with a B.

The bridge was very grand I thought and I have memories of seeing the canal barges being pulled along by the horses.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Salford Bridge

I am building up a good picture of how the interchange at Salford Bridge looked in the 50's with all the Tram pictures i have collected From Diferent angles, but i only have low resolution pics of the Erdington arms(Muck man) at the end of Slade rd also Gravelly hill. Any high res pics greatly appreciated, and any pics from 60's would be great, anyone wanting pic that i have let me know and i will post or email direct
Thanx Tony

Salford Bridge

GOOD MORNING JENYMAN

I HAVE JUST BEEN READING THE THREADS ON SALFORD BRIDGE
WITH GREAT INTREST
i was born at 5/92 lichfield road i was always on salford bridge playing around
and i recall the men turning the trams around to go back up towards city centre on the big turn table i found them fastiating to watch as they headed back to our end which was yards from ansells brewery ,
And i recall the modernisation of the brewery along the lichfield road
next to mattys radio shop
Any Way The garage you are on about is bannings ,my older brother
used to work there for years ,
incidently i passed there two days ago and bannings are still there
it been and had a face lift but its still bannings
there was a series of little shops on the bridge i used to buy my tuck from there when i looked ocer the cannopy the other day
the shrubbery where we played cow boys and indians is still untouched
it brought memories flooding back to me
and as my son was driving his car i told him thats where i played when i was a nipper
great memories , have a nice day astonian ,;;

Barbers Shop on Salford Bridge

My Dad had a friend that had a Barber's shop on Salford Bridge.. Alec Amour... He was a prisoner of war and the story that my dad told was that - he only survived as he was a Barber and cut the prisoners hair.
Georgie

Salford Bridge

Hi Georgie
I Remember The Old Barber On The Bridge ,
My Dad Took Me There When I Was A Nipper ,
And He Had The Old Tradional Sign Out Side The Old
Red And White Sign Sticking Out From The Wall ,
Then Eventualy He Took Me Across The Road From Our House
Which Was Further Back Up The Lichfield Rd ,
Across The Road From Our House And Next To Ansells Brewery
That Was Galligahers By The Crossing
We Lived In The Terrace Next To Thompsons The Butchers
Incidently ,i Sincerly Hope Youdon,t Mind Me .asking You
On The Thread But Did You Have A Brother By The Name Of
Raymond ,?, Because At The Botton Of Our Terrace There Was
A Garrett Family Living There Next To A Lady Called Bannister
And On Her Garden Wall For Everybody To See And Read
In Sea Shells ,spelt Jesus Saves ,
As Isaid Seeing Your Name Reminded Me Of This Family
Also This Georgie Worked At Savekers In Phillip St
And He Was In The Boys Brigade At Dyson Hall With My Older Brother S Ronnie , And Billy
Sorry To Waffle On George, But Any Way I Did Remember The Old Cut Throat And Going In The Shop
Also I Remember The Little Garage Across The Road
Old Bannings ,
Have A Nice Day George , Best Wishes Astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian,
I only remember bits of Salford Bridge as I lived off the Orphanage Road...Erdington area. My school.. Pitmans College in the city centre used to have athletics at Salford stadium!! and play tennis there...so we would catch the train from New Street to Aston and walk up to Salford Stadium.. and then I would catch a bus home from just over the bridge. In the mid 1960's. Of course my bus went passed Salford every day.
I married into the Garrett family and they are Oxfordshire/Buckingham Garrett's.... so no connection there I'm afraid.
Lovely memories...thank you... Georgie

Salford Bridge

HI GEORGE
Many Thanks For Your Reply ,It Would Have Been Nice Had You
Come From The sameFamily In The Terrace , Still Nice To Hear From You,
George MOST Sundays I Would Be Down Watctching The Athletics At Yhe Stadium,
Can You Recall When They Changed To The Cycleing Stadium
What Year Would That Have BEEN
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;

Great photos Lyn, what grabs my attention is the lack of plant except for a couple of cranes and the odd cement mixer it's all hand tools.

I think the road on the left of the first one would be Copeley Hill.
I had a car just the same as the one in the picture when I first learned to drive - I called him William .....
I like this third picture as the chimneys and cooling towers already look like ghosts - a shadow of things to come? The Erdington Arms is hanging on - but for how long?

Attachments

• P2260009 (2).JPG
    P2260009 (2).JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 103
  • P2260015 (2).JPG
    P2260015 (2).JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 101
  • P2260016 (3).JPG
    P2260016 (3).JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 98
Lady P, The road opposite on Pic 1 is PowickRoad (1st right down Slade Road) I believe the pub is the Erdington Arm's, but commonly known as the 'Muckman'. Copely Hill would have been on this side of Slade Road were all those pipe sections are, I lived by there for 25 years (1962 to 87) Hillside Road 1st left under railway bridge, paid a few visits to that pub with my Wife. Obviously the construction of Spagetti junction. Eric

The Salford Bridge as it is now with the Aston Expressway / Spaghetti Junction above it.

Down to the Tame Valley Canal

Towards Salford Circus

Salford Bridge from the Tame Valley Canal

Tame Valley Canal from the Salford Bridge

Thanks Eric, yes it was the road on this side of Slade Road I meant. I keep trying to remember what the name of the road parallel to Bridge Road was. They both ran from Leamington Road to Copeley Hill. I believe it was Woodlands Road? An entry ran between the two to the back gardens. Any idea when The Erdington Arms was built? It couldn't have been very old.

It's due to the building of Spaghetti Junction in 1972 some 45 years ago (before my time)! Including the M6, Aston Expressway A38(M) and all the other connecting roads in the sky. The railways, canals and the River Tame are still there all under that though.

Salford Bridge was a big part of my childhood ellbrown. My parents met there in the early 1930's (on the monkey run) and my grandparents lived in Bridge Road. I used to go on the tram at first and then the 65 bus.

priceless photos pen..i agree with you about the cooling towers..they have that haunting look..

wonder if the erdington arms is still there..would imagine not but hope i am wrong...

lyn

Not the building Lyn. the Armada seems to be at about the same place, but not sure if it is still open (it is on google maps, but that is 2014

oh silly me mike now i have my bearings..of course you are right should have remembered as i did a bit of research on the erdington arms some years back i think thats slade road to the left of it..the armada building is still there cant be certain if its still open now though...

thanks mike

Still up for sale but there were a lot of cars outside today plus several vans. Maybe it was a viewing?
#16 forgot to say my Dad was born in Bridge Road.

ellbrown, do you think the 'island' in your post #11 is the same one as my second picture #7?

Back