• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saint Michaels Boldmere

Another classic Eric. That church was burned down in the 60's. The story is a choir boy fell out with the vicar, so he put a match to the church. I am always interested in hearsay stories like this.

It is indeed a beautiful picture and even better in the 'flesh' so to speak.
Some of the churches in Sutton run a homeless shelter during the worst months of the year (Jan, Feb & March) and this will be raffled in the spring to raise funds. We had a talk last month on homeless people and how some of them came to be in that position. It was very illuminating and at least we'll be sure that these funds will go to the right place.

Morturn, as far as I know the story is that an ex-choirboy who had fallen on hard times returned to St Michael's and asked the Vicar for some money. Whether he gave him some or not I don't know but he said afterwards that he wished he had helped him more. The young man then set fire to some choir robes in the vestry and, there being a lot of wood in the building, the fire quickly took hold.

My own personal view is that, should it have happened today, more of the church would have been saved. The original church was built piecemeal with the main aisle first, then the north aisle and finally the south aisle. This meant that there were huge columns restricting view so they decided to sweep everything away and have a large open space. The church lost a lot of stained glass windows but whether it was the fire or what followed I really don't know.

I am sure the talk was enlightening Lady P. One thing many do not realize is that many who are deemed 'homeless' suffer from agoraphobia and as such hate being enclosed in buildings or other places. However, that does mean that help, physical or financial, where accepted, can be offered.

Alan, some of the men featured in the talk had come over here with the promise of work and a place to live. They had handed in their passports and papers and paid a great deal of money to an unscrupulous trafficker. Once here they were abandoned. Many of them would like to go home but can't without passport and papers and can't find work without these and a permanent address.
There are many reasons people end up on the streets, breakdowns, redundancy, illness, break-up with partner, etc. The list goes on.

fantastic painting eric i love it and pen its for a very good cause....as i always say...there but for the grace of god go i...good luck with your church raffle:)

lyn

More thanks to Eric for the painting above (Post #1). With the help of his picture we have been able to raise a good sum of money which will top £600 to help the homeless this winter. As there are only 16 members in our Guild it really exceeded expectations. Many people wanted to win the watercolour and one lady was very disappointed (she won second prize) so I framed a print for her 90th birthday. She said she couldn't have been more pleased if we'd given her £10,000!!

Again, Eric, many thanks for the painting and the part you played in raising this money.

Eric, the lady who won the painting was thrilled and wrote a letter for the church magazine. Here's an excerpt for you:

"It has pride of place in my hall, as you enter through the front door there it is in all its beauty.

I feel very humbled and very privileged too own such a beautiful painting as it welcomes, greets and is a blessing to all who come into the house. Margaret."

While sorting out, came across a Cup 8inches high, after a clean, it was black, must have come from the youth club in minworth many years ago, club went years ago, St Michael's is mentioned twice 1951 and 1954, Sutton Coldfield Service of Youth, Table Tennis, Girls Doubles, Start date 1948,, Last 1968 will pop it in on passing

That's very interesting Dave M. We have an archivist who would be very interested to see that. Much of St Michael's history was lost in the fire so he's trying to build it back up again. I don't know much about the youth activities except that Boldmere St Michael's FC was started by the church. Thank you very much.

While sorting out, came across a Cup 8inches high, after a clean, it was black, must have come from the youth club in minworth many years ago, club went years ago, St Michael's is mentioned twice 1951 and 1954, Sutton Coldfield Service of Youth, Table Tennis, Girls Doubles, Start date 1948,, Last 1968 will pop it in on passing

I spoke to our Archivist and he'd be really pleased to have the cup. He asked me to pass on his mobile so that he can meet up with you as the church isn't always open. I've sent you a PM with his number. Thanks again.

Back