• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saint Georges church, Newtown

cookie273uk

master brummie
Saint_Georges_church.JPG
normal_Saint_Georges_church.JPG
normal_Evening_in_Corfu.jpg
St Georges church Newtown before demolition, a lot of my recent paintings have been wintry and overcast, thought I would give it a summer setting for a change.

Last edited:
Oh Eric what can I say, that is brilliant. Lyn [ Astoness ] arranged for Eric to do this painting for me to give to my sister on her 70th birthday next month. She is going to love it. Thank you so so much Eric and Lyn.
Lynne xx

What a lovely painting. This church has special meaning for me, as it was where my Mom and Dad got married.

all the best Stars (Eric)

same here stars..my mom and dad married there in 1950..10 years before it was demolished..i really do admire it so much :)

Eric you are such a kind and talented man. How lovely to do this and thanks to Lyn for organising it. Lynne I am sure your sister will be over the moon it's just beautiful.

If any one wants to down load copies, go ahead. I had a good feeling about this painting, whilst walking my dogs I could see the finished painting in my head, rushed home and got stuck in, fairly happy with the result. Makes a pleasant change from painting pubs:D Eric

Ha Ha that made me laugh Eric although our family can't believe I have a cemetery painting in my bedroom:D I love it!

Hi Atoness
My parents got married there in 1945. Is there any photos on here of the church and do you know what road it was in.

thanks Stars (Eric)

stars..got to post 13 and click on the link that wendy has posted...there is lots of pics and info on that thread for st georges church

If any one wants to down load copies, go ahead. I had a good feeling about this painting, whilst walking my dogs I could see the finished painting in my head, rushed home and got stuck in, fairly happy with the result. Makes a pleasant change from painting pubs:D Eric

:D eric..mind you you could always do the the church tavern...only joking...

thanks again....xx

Hi! For those of you who are interested, here is a picture of Saint George's School class taken circa pre 1920 probably 1918. This is my own photograph - it belonged to my mother who is seated extreme right of the picture
. I think it is excellent in showing the conditions of the classroom at that time and I would assume that all the children were turned out in their best attire as parents were very proud and keen to "keep up appearances". Hope you enjoy it. Regards to all especially with family connections with the church. P.S. Hope the photograph gets posted O.K. willey.

hi willey would love to see this photo but it has not uploaded so we can not see it..i wonder if you could try again please..if you are still having problems i can send you a private message giving you my email address and if you send it to me maybe i will be able to post it on the forum for you...

lyn

Lyn, Yes please. I am having trouble with the photograph. Let me have your address and I will e-mail it immediately. It will be in .jpg format. regards. willey

No problem willy, thank you for sharing it with us. Fantastic photo.
all the best Stars

wonderful photo willey....just to recap your mom is on the extreme right....you are so lucky to have this...

thansk for sharing it with us..

lyn

Yes Lyn, My mother is extreme right at the back. She lived just over the road from the school behind the premises of "Loo Bloom" gents tailors. The shop was there for many years and would be familiar to anyone living in the vicinity. I remember the house very well indeed. Since my mother was an only child, the family managed to survive in a degree of comfort not known to many of the poor families of the area. Conditions that we hope will never again be experienced. Thanks for the help. Regards. willey

well i think its just wonderful how photos can bring back the memories keith and looking at the houses in johns pics you can see why they had to come down..that name loo bloom rings a bell for me...maybe another member mentioned it or there could be a pic of the shop somewhere on the forum...i shall have to have a think about this one..

lyn

Back