• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sailor WW1 ?

bren

master brummie
Has anyone an idea of the time period this is from going by what i assume is a navy uniform.
I think the lettering on his hat is RNCVR, again, anyone know what this is or what it stands for.

Hoping to get some information in order to try and find out who he is, had it sent to me by the son of an elderly cousin who actualy found me through this site.

View attachment 8496

View attachment 8497

Here's hoping

Bren

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank's for that cromwell i shall now go and educate myself about the RNCVR and see what records i can find, if any.

Rod, thank's for sorting my post out.

Bren

This makes very interesting reading --

View attachment 8507

They made their first public appearance in Jan 1914 so was formed not long before that.

The last man to get his civvies was June 15 1920.

Minimum age was 18yrs, max 38yrs, i would say looking at that picture that he was nearer the 18 mark LOL, and had to be sons of Natural Born British Subjects.

There were 1,700 men attached to the RNCVR overseas division

Right, someone is going to give me a full list of names for everyman who joined with all their details, i will just read down the list until i recognise a name, bingo, job done
OOPS Sorrry, was just day dreaming then, if only LOL, at least i have an idea now what to look for

Bren

Bren...as you did not give a name the story ends there...thanks for posting info but if you posted all you know ...perhaps a bit more info would be forthcoming .....

Hi cromwell

Having a name doesn't mean the story ends it just means you have to be more inventive.

Have just recieved a phone number from an old sailor who has on my behalf spoken to a person in Portsmouth (Navy) who could help.
The RNCVR had about 4,000 men as a whole but only about 1,700 in the Overseas Division, in other words sons of Natural Born British Subjects so that narrows the search down considerably. If this person is able to obtain that list i have a good chance of finding out who this person is in the photo, hopefully i already have him in my family tree.

Bren

Now ya got me puzzled....searching for someone with no name ?

As i said in my first post this was sent by an elderly cousin, she knows he is family but not his name.
If he is family his name will reflect that and if you look at the photo, he is a young man, if he was recruted in 1913 he could have been born c1895 or before but not much before by the look of him. Now then if i do get that list and find a name familiar to us, it is an unusual name by the way, there is a chance i can get hold of his service record and then with a good look at all the info there is a chance of saying who he is, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Bren

Back