• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sad Times (2nd Class City)

no idea about that viv..too far back even for me lol...i will try and find that snippet later on.. it may give us a bit more info re the humble beginnings of the club..

no idea about that viv..too far back even for me lol...i will try and find that snippet later on.. it may give us a bit more info re the humble beginnings of the club..
Hi All,
Originally football clubs were not owned but simply a group of like minded fellows enjoying a game of football. Very much like the Sunday League teams of today. However, for some reason, it became very popular and sizable crowds were turning up to watch it. Then the better teams were looking around for someone to play who would give them a more competitive game . They had to look further around than their own localities and finally 12 teams mostly from the Midlands and the North met and decided to form a league. Villa, of course, were one of these teams.
They were still not owned, as such, and what money was needed came from their own pockets and whatever gate money they could earn. The league teams formed an association to control the game and each team sent a representative to the meetings. I doubt if anyone thought the game was going to extend as it did. The first games were played on any piece of land that could be rented but it soon became obvious that proper grounds were needed and Villa, of course, moved into the Lower Grounds next to Aston Hall.
The Football Association decided that funds could be obtained by each club selling shares so that each shareholder was a part owner of the club. If someone obtained a large proportion of the shares he became, in effect, the owner of the club. No one could have foreseen that football was going to become the multi billion pound industry it is today.
It is interesting that, in fact, Villa still play at the Lower Grounds. The name was never officially altered and it was the early supporters who coined the name Villa Park.
So ends my short history of Aston Villa - Up The Blues.
Old Boy

1834 map of the area of aston villa....the wesleyan chapel (not yet built) would have been on the corner of george st (not yet cut) and lozells road (formally lozells lane) the chapel would have been roughly where it says ASTON in aston villa... also a photo of aston villa wesleyan chapelaston villa and lozells map1834.jpg aston vill methodist church.jpg

Thanks OldBoy and Lyn, that's very interesting football history. I think the origins of any game are worth looking at as they show us another little glimpse of the social history of an area. I presume the founders were all originally chapel goers and perhaps, to join the team, you had to attend chapel. A far, far cry from today. Viv

Thanks OldBoy and Lyn, that's very interesting football history. I think the origins of any game are worth looking at as they show us another little glimpse of the social history of an area. I presume the founders were all originally chapel goers and perhaps, to join the team, you had to attend chapel. A far, far cry from today. Viv

My old man was born in Aston in 1908 and went to the Sacred Heart School. He played for the Sacred Heart team well into the 1930s and many works teams. Now he was obviously a Catholic but he had many friends from Deykin Avenue Protestant school. On occasions a full team could not be fielded at the playing fields, and both denominations would change their religions to get a game!

Back