• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sacred Heart Catholic School Witton Road

I went to Sacred Heart Junior and Infants School between 1962 and 1965/66, the school next to the church. I remember a Miss Belcher and a Miss Drysdale. Had my first Holy Communion there, and I think the priest's name was Father Cherry (but it could have been Crean?).
Astonb6, I actually met Jimmy Larkin here in Australia, and his brother (John I think), at a Perth Glory Soccer match. We all had Villa shirts on, so we got chatting.... small world eh? Other kids at school I remember were... Joe Nugent (my best pal), Annette Lawrence (sat next to her in class, had my first crush on her), Connie Murphy (my first playground kiss under a coat), Gerrard Dillon (who learnt me how to tie my own shoelaces), Joe Gallagher (not sure if it was the same boy who went on to play for Birmingham City or not?), John Carroll, and Adrian Commins.
I was there same time commandant was miss Greeny her slipper kissed me many a time it was father Crean always had a bottle on him I recall Joe Gallager I moved to the new school on Trinaty rd in my last year

I used to knock around with and attend Scared Heart with my old mates John Mckenna and Don Tevlin. JM and me later went to Cardinal Wiseman in Kingstanding and being Aston lads, there was no welcome mat for us resulting in a fair few disagreements shall we say!

5 of us went to Marsh Hill Grammer in '71 and got the same treatment, I was friends with Joe Gallagher and his brother Desmond, he didn't play for the Blues.

I used to knock around with and attend Scared Heart with my old mates John Mckenna and Don Tevlin. JM and me later went to Cardinal Wiseman in Kingstanding and being Aston lads, there was no welcome mat for us resulting in a fair few disagreements shall we say!
I went to Our Lady of Lourdes in Tile Cross after moving to Lea Village. Then went to Doebank Primary on the Pheasey Estate (which was great), but my dad thought we were enjoying school too much, and moved us to Maryvale (next to Cardinal Wiseman), which in comparison, was like going back into the time of Dickens 'Oliver'. My brother and sister and I hated it soooo much, my mom over-rid my dad (who was a 'pub Catholic' rather than a church one, so didn't really care which school we were in), and we went back to Doebank Primary in Doebank Lane.

My daughter had her first holy comununion at the sacred heart church
I have got a photo of her in her dress standing in the play ground on the day she had it done
I will try and dig it out and put it on later
Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,,

My daughter had her first holy comununion at the sacred heart church
I have got a photo of her in her dress standing in the play ground on the day she had it done
I will try and dig it out and put it on later
Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,,
I too have pics of my First Holy Communion at Sacred Heart school, in the playground as well. Like you, will have to dig them out!

sacred heart rc school witton.

I recently responded to Ann who posted on B.H.F three years ago. as so much time has elapsed since she posted she may not be looking any longer for a reply.
I am going to renew the post in the hope that someone out there will see it . Anyone who was at the Sacred Heart between 1945 -52 who remembers Miss Powell , Miss Austin , Mr Ludden, Mr Burchill, Mr Mayal, Miss McGovern, Miss Greeny et al ,please respond with your memories.:handshake:
Hi Molly, I was there from 1943 to 1951 when I moved to Birchfield Road School. I had all those teachers you mentioned. I don't recall your name but some of my classmates were Douglas Jukes, Brian Bull, Dennis Thorniwork, Desmond Morgan, Pat Collins, Pat Naven, Peter Butler, Michael Philbin. I remember Mr. Ludden playing the piano at lunch time. He was quite an accomplished pianist.

Hi all I've just found this website and thought I'd join in. I'm Robert McLellan and attended during the 1950's. I remember some of the teachers and pupils' names posted here. The headmaster when I attended was Mr Burchill , I remember Mr Whittle, Mr Ludden and Miss Powell, and some of the nuns too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back