• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sabin and Stockley, Wine Merchants

Hi Shortie,

Bit of a mystery this one. Sabin and Stockley were a pianoforte warehouse in Colmore Row - plenty of entries on Google. The only connection to the booze trade I can find is Frederick Sabin, beer retailer, 214 Newtown Row. But someone may know better.

Maurice

Oh thanks Maurice. They must also have been a wine and spirit merchant as they were mentioned in a court case in 1892 (got this from the Library newspaper collection). One of their employees punched my gt grandfather, who also worked for a wine merchant, a Mr Hunt. Perhaps it was just an offshoot of the piano business?

Maurice - I have read the article again, and perhaps it was the pianoforte warehouse that was being spoken about. That gives me a better idea of the location - I am looking for the service road where the incident took place. I obvoiusly read it too quickly, as it does not mention the business, just that the employee of theirs punched my gt grandfather because he wanted to pass by. Thank you for your help. Shortie

Shortie:

Correct - Sabin & Stockley, originally in Bull Street, moved to Ann Street in 1877 and their premises became 123 Colmore Row. Mikejee is the best man to work out where Mr Hunt, the wine merchant was.

Here's the clipping:-

Shortie.jpg

Maurice

Thanks Maurice. I know No 123 Colmore Row very well, it's the Co-op Bank now and when I worked in Waterloo Street, I was often in there. It's the passageway at the back that's the more interesting bit, although if Mike can tell me exactly where Mr Hunt had his premises it would make it even more interesting. I have a map of Birmingham in about 1902, so can see it all clearly. I like this kind of information, it puts meat on the bones of a family history. Thank you for your assistance. Shortie

Thankl Maurice, but is it the same one, or perhaps a different year? The newspaper article said that Thomas Jefcoate was loading his wagon, so I assumed the wine merchants place was on Colmore Row, or perhaps just storage? It's all good stuff though, never thought I would find anything like that in the newspapers!

That was the 1892 Kellys, Shortie, so as close as we're likely to get probably. Based on the news report, it was an alleyway at the back of the two buildings. Not sure which end of Colmore Row number 123 is.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice, so from that I can assume the stores, or some at least, must have been in Colmore Row, possibly at the rear of another business. I am due to go back to Birmingham fairly soon, so will have to investigate further. I just love to walk the same streets as my forebears, and as that block of buildings is little-changed, it will be a most interesting visit.

This is a bit complicated. The 1878 Post Office Directory says George
Edwin hunt, Wine merchant is at 2A Summer Row. He is also listed here in the 1979 and 1880 editions, so i think , even allowing for an extended lag between collection of data and publication, he was here in 1877. I have put what i would guess was numbering on the c 1889 map below, assuming there have been no changes since 1877.

map_c_1889_end_summer_Row.jpg

Shortie,

Ask Mikejee nicely if he will mark up these two businesses on a map - it might make a bit more sense then.

Maurice

I should have added that htis is the only Hunt, wine merchant in the 1878 directory

Here is map showing c 1889 2A summer row and 123 Colmore Row. Looks like there may be other buildings involved, possibly stores

relationship_2A_summer_Row_and_123_Colmore_Row.jpg

Here is map also showing 75 edmund St. On the 1889 map it is a blank site with no building, but 75 would be at /close to the corner. Therefore alleyway can be seen behind. I think I may have found the solution. No 75 is not listed in the 1878 direcgory, but in 1880 it is Fox 7 co Wine merchants. Maybe these were owned by Hunt, but traded under the Fox name, and later changed when the whole company moved to one site

relationship_2A_summer_Row_and_123_Colmore_Row_anf_75_edmund_st.jpg

Mike:

Well done - another one solved! I rather thought that might be the case from the 1892 directory, but wasn't sure how 123 Colmore Row related to it. Cheers.

So S & S was next door to the old Westminster Bank - I remember that well from the late 1950s. :friendly_wink:

Maurice

That explains it all Mike, thank you. Seeing where Mr Hunt's business was and where the service road was/is, I can understand fully why there was an argument. Perhaps they all lacked a bit of patience! However, I do need to check, but I thought the Co-op bank was 123 and that's on the other side of the road. Perhaps I have my numbers mixed up, I am sure I have after seeing this. Thanks again Mike.

Back