• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

S&U Stores, Edgbaston St, Bham, ..B5 4RB...

Sandra Stevens

proper brummie kid
Hi there trying to trace Co Workers in Store Shop 1961..1963 I can remember names of the Departments Floor Staff & managers and I remember Clifford Coombes and his sons..I believe Derek Coombes was married to the actor Peter O'Tooles sister at the time..Any replies greatfully received...

Thankyou
Sandra Stevens

Last edited:
I had mate here who was a travelling salesman for them but maybe a bit earlier than you dates, he moved on to work for the MEB on the road then eventually a shop manager.
Name of H Lawrence.

I had mate here who was a travelling salesman for them but maybe a bit earlier than you dates, he moved on to work for the MEB on the road then eventually a shop manager.
Name of H Lawrence.
Hi Eric I remember the little Green minivans the travelling salesmen used but I cant go further back as I started in 1961/2..I left in1963....

Hi Sandra,

We used to know (as a customer), a salesman called Don Norton, who we
dealt with for quite a few years.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave there were over a hundred sales travellers I can only remember names that have stuck in my memory..1961..1963 .I worked in fashion ladies 2nd floor then on 1st floor Toys!

Hi Eric I remember the little Green minivans the travelling salesmen used but I cant go further back as I started in 1961/2..I left in1963....
Interesting - in 1974 I purchased LRC 9D a grey Bedford HA van from an acquaintance at Sidwell & Jinks Garage in Bordesley Green, the previous owner in the log book was S&U Stores. Always wondered why it had factory fitted rear seats, perhaps because it was used by a travelling salesman?

Interesting - in 1974 I purchased LRC 9D a grey Bedford HA van from an acquaintance at Sidwell & Jinks Garage in Bordesley Green, the previous owner in the log book was S&U Stores. Always wondered why it had factory fitted rear seats, perhaps because it was used by a travelling salesman?
Yes thats right no seats in back of vans but when I left in 1962/3 the mini vans were definitely light green in colour..I'd love to know anybody who worked there then I can remember some of the names of staff who worked in the store on the different floors...

I seem to remember the end of 1970 we furnished our rented flat in Water Orton from S&U stores. The chap called round weekly ? for the repayments and was always friendly getting us the best deals he could.

Back