• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

S. U. Carburettors Wood lane

Hi Dek, I THINK I remember taking my Frogeye there when it suddenly started to have a problem with the big ends going (once when I was halfway back from London at about midnight one Sunday). We lived at the back on Tyburn Rd.

They also had a skid pan that they shared with Dunlop - one of the first times I ever attempted to drive was in a GPO Commer van down the skid pan as a 16 year old - and I still don't drive to this day.

How many of you can remember taking your car hear for a carb tune up. Dek

If I recall correctly S.U.service dept was at the Kingsbury Road end of Wood Lane right where the Showcase cinema is now.I use to pop my car in there at times when I was working in Ashold Farm road in the late 70's and 80's.

I took a Marina to S. U. Carbs years ago. They tuned it and it still didn't improve the m.pg. So a week later I sold it, problem sorted for me

Remember going there in the mid fifties with my dads Morris 8 for a tune up, they used to take the carb. off the car, strip it, renew any needed bits and then tune it up, was ok as long as everything else was in good nick, and the timing was spot on.

Remember going there in the mid fifties with my dads Morris 8 for a tune up, they used to take the carb. off the car, strip it, renew any needed bits and then tune it up, was ok as long as everything else was in good nick, and the timing was spot on. The Amal in Witton did tune ups also on motorbikes.

I remember the needles and oil dashpots and stethescopes to ballance twin units. They did not work well overall in much colder North America. Had them on two cars here though and no problems except for a frozen linkage on a TR6 twin unit. I could not stop the car at a garage and passed right through and out the other side before I could stop.

Back