• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ryland Street

stars

master brummie
Here are some lost photos of Ryland Street i am Re-posting.

The_Ryland_Arms_in_Ryland_Street2C_1961.jpg
St__Barnabas2C_Ryland_Street.jpg

St__Barnabas_District_School2C_Ryland_Street2C_1967.jpg

Sign_at_St__Barnabas_School.jpg

These are two photo's of Joes Cafe in Ryland St. The colour one was taken in 1961.
Notice it looks like the same car on the right, but facing the other way. Also the big advert
over the door is different. So perhaps the B/W photo is the same year.

Ryland_Street2C_August_1961_3.jpg

Photo Courtesy D. Norton
Image1Joes_Cafe_Ryland_St_1961.jpg

Ryland_Street2C_1961_2.jpg

Ryland_Street_showing_Johnson_s_the_Butchers.jpg

Ryland_Street_2.jpg

Ryland_Street_1.jpg

Johnson_s_the_Butchers_in_Ryland_Street.jpg

Crown_Stores2C_Ryland_Street.jpg

95-127_Ryland_Street.jpg

Regards Stars

brilliant pics stars..just look at the one with all the meat hanging...and in the midst of all that a mother and child in a pram by the looks of it...amaziing pic and you wouldnt get meat hanging in the street like that now would you....

thanks stars
lyn

Hi Lyn
Could you imagine opening up a shop these days and start hanging your meat out in the street. I got a feeling you may just recieve a visit from the public health. It's enough to
put you off your Sunday roast.

Stars

lol stars...i can well remember being taken shopping down lodge road (the flat) and seeing all the rabbits hanging up outside a corner shop....great pic though and shows us just how life used to be...actually its bought to mind another pic i think i have of a pub called the vampire..think it was in gt hampton st or it could have been gt hampton row..there was meat hanging in that one...will try and find it and post under pubs...

lyn

Last edited:
hi journey man
thats quite true but go down stratford rd and it will open your eyes beleive me what used to be the irish communetity is now an asian quarter
and they have meats of alsorts cooking before your very eyes and hanging meats plus the regulation foot usage is ingored
they are virtulal blocking the pesterian foot pathe ; a couple of years ago they was a green grocer in the meadway shopping parade whom was prosecued for it
any way getting back to ryland street it was brillient and after the war years we searched the house and the old cellars for any war mobilia
and we took out the old window sash weight bombs to take to old man clarke in ledsam street just along the rd from there
and a couple of blocks further away from clarkies was good old hickmans fruit and veg in king edwards rd he had alsorts hanging out you name it he had it out hanging on hooks rabbits pheasants pigions fish of alsorts along with his fresh fish slabbs
but as you say its not allowed for us ; only for certain people i am afraid in my eyes ; i beleive there is going to be a red route bus service operating in the new year along that certain stretch so it will be intresting to se the out come ; ? astonian there will be no car parking i am afraid to say astonian

They are super pics Lyn, as you say. I tell you what though, I bet that meat tasted a lot better than meat does today, even from todays butchers shops, let alone supermarkets. The meat we get today is enough to make us all turn vegetarian.

Thank you Lyn, like your's too, what a little sweetie. In fact, it was only when I saw your's that I realized it was time to change mine. Love those pics of Ryland St, this was not too far from where I lived in Browning St at one time.

yes maggs i thought you lived not far from ryland st at one time..great pics stars..

I spent 4 years walking or eventually driving up and down Ryland street from the middle of 1960 when I worked at Ryland garage. As a lad you would have to collect the sandwiches from the Cafe in the photo's, listening to the jukebox and the great smells were always the high point, the low point was not being able to afford one of the double decker sandwiches. Great photo's which brought back many happy memories.

Last edited:
I did indeed live in that area for a while Lyn, and I seem to remember a pub called 'The Horse Falls'. I often thought that was in Ryland St.

Lovely pic Stars, as usual. I still have a mini identical to the one in the pic, and the same colour too 'Snowberry'.

Lyn,

The street name begins with W and the first shop is J.A.Turtle, Newsagent. Anyone with access to Midlands Historical Data or Ancestry Phone Books should be able to sort that!

Maurice

I haven't a clue Lyn. But there are clues to the more astute who knew older parts, now swept away, of the city.
Cobbles suggest trams, at one time or another and maybe a junction as there appears to be a road name on one wall.
A J Tuttle might be known to someone. ;)

thanks alan and maurice...yes a few clues im sure someone will come up with the answer

Golden Hillock Road....Mr Turtle was at number 98....VICtoria 0816 was his phone number..... well that where he was in 1963....

Last edited:
hello aston lad hope you are well... that road or st sign looks to small to read golden hillock rd but it could just be the camera angle

lyn

Back