• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ruston Place, Ladywood

Tina Hughes

Brummie babby
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site. My Dad was one of 11 children, only 2 survive. My Uncle is writing his memories of his family and it's fascinating. My Grandparents, Thomas and Dora Sims started their married life in 1911 in Rusdon Place.... a terrace off Rusdon Street. I would like to find a photo of the houses in Rusdon Place at that time and a map of the area in 1911. I would really appreciate any help thank you. Tina.

hi tina and welcome ..i am moving this thread to the streets and neighbours section of the forum where you will get more response than being in the general discussion section...i will search my files for any photos of ruston st and i am sure someone can provide a map for you..i think you will find its ruston not rusdon so i will alter the thread title for you..you probably know this but just in case your grandparents married on christmas day 1911 at st marks church ladywood which i think is still there...your grandads occupation was a spoon finisher..

lyn

Last edited:
Here si a map c 1889 showing Ruston St and Ruston St North. Ruston Place is not marked. similarly, the electoral roll do not include a Ruston Place. It is probably the alternative name for one of the numbered courts.

map c1889 Ruston St.jpg

Have now found Ruston lPlace in a 1915 directory. It is listed as next to no 20, which makes it the court listed as Court 12 in the earlier map, and houses coloured red in the c1950 map below. I am not sure whether the two back houses immediately behind the street houses would be included in Ruston Place,, but have marked them red also as they are in the are in that immediate area

map c1950 showing houses of Ruston Place.jpg

Have now found Ruston lPlace in a 1915 directory. It is listed as next to no 20, which makes it the court listed as Court 12 in the earlier map, and houses coloured red in the c1950 map below. I am not sure whether the two back houses immediately behind the street houses would be included in Ruston Place,, but have marked them red also as they are in the are in that immediate area

View attachment 134862
Thank you very much for your help, it's really appreciated.

Back