• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Russell, William Family

Exiled

Hello all. I'm somewhat late to this thread, but I have just come across it whilst researching my family history. My grandfather was William "Bill" Russell who was one of the firefighters killed on 28th July 1942 when Dockers was bombed. I know very little of him as my father was an only child and was only 5 when his dad was killed. The story I was told was that my grandma and dad were at the cinema when the film was interrupted and their names were called out to inform them that my grandad had been killed. The firefighters feet had apparently become stuck in the spilled paint and were unable to move when the wall came down on top of them.

His name is on record in Westminster Abbey in the book of civilian deaths of WWII and he is commemorated on line here on the Fire Service memorial site https://www.theonlinebookcompany.co...alTrust/Celebrations/FirefighterMemorial/3778

All the rest I know is from here https://www.search.birminghamimages...nID=7423&PageIndex=7&SearchType=2&ThemeID=529

If anyone else has any information of the Russell family - his mom and dad were John and Catherine Russell of 151 Barker Street Rood end, or his wife (my gran) Lillian Russell of Sycamore Rood, Langley I'd love to find out more.

A couple of interesting snippets. It appears that Catherine was registered as and appears on a number of censuses as Caroline (Perry) and John (William) Russell, though baptised in West Bromwich, was born in Devon.

Thanks MWS. It apears his father was also born in West Bromwich, as was my father. Looks like the Russell family might have been caught short on a day trip to the seaside!

Back