• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

changinman1

master brummie
My gt gt grandad Joseph Field I have just found out this week on getting his cert of death back from the records office in brum died young ......he was 48 when he died in 1890 leaving a young family behind . But the question to anyone that might know this is .

He was a skilled man , a Gun Finisher , and he died in the registration district of Kings Norton in 1890 even though according to the census of 1880 and ones prior to that that he lived and worked in the gun quarter of the city , but he died according to the death cert in Rubery hill asylum. The first thing that sprung to mind for me was asylum.....is that not for people that were mentally ill ? . None of my family have any info on him at all . So considering that his death cert states cause of death as ACUTE BRONCHITIS .....why was he in that asylum ?????.

Confused Karl Field

Given that your gt gt grandfather died in Rubery Hill Hospital in 1890 I think you have to assume he was suffering from a mental health problem at the time. People rarely die of mental health problems. its usualy normal causes such as acute Bronchitis that carries them off

pmc1947

Does Anyone Know If I Can Get Any Info On Why My Gt Gt Grandad (joseph Field) Was In Rubery Hill ....im Hopin He Was Admitted Due To Physical Illness Rather Than A Mental One.......is There A Record Of Admissions Anywhere ???? Cheers Karl Field

For Colin B

Thanks For The Link To The Archive Doo Dah......do I Have To Apply For Info About My Gtgt Grandfather Or Can I Look It Up ??

Cheers Karl

if my grandad died at rubery hill hospital ....do i take it that he would be buried there as they had a cemetary there ///id love to try and find his grave.....

You will have to go to the Central Library in Birmingham to look up the records to the Asylum. Ask also if there are any records for the cemetary.

Good luck Karl.:)

The problem with Asylum records is the hundred year closure rule. My great aunt died at Hatton Asylum 1909 and I did manage to obtain the records with proof of who I was. My family lived in Aston so I was suprised to find her in Hatton in Warwick. Sadley she was only an epileptic but in those days there were no drugs!

di poppit

di there used to be a hospital at Hatton didnt there,...so was your relly sent there for epilepsy....and I suppose in those days it was considered that she was mental............

Karl, it was my relative who died at Hatton not Di's. The building is still there but its now upmarket appartments.
If your relative died in 1890 at Rubery Hill Hospital the records would be open thats if they have survived.
If I were you I would contact central library and ask if they hold the records. They will do a search for your relative if the records are there but they do charge. I hope this helps. Wendy.

Hi Karl, As Colin B as already said & i agree, not all patients were in
due to mental problems, the Hospital had various sections & changes of
usage over its time period(s).
Played a cup football match there in the 80,s, some of the Doctors & male nurses were a bit mental !!!, one said "don,t worry if we break your leg !!"
lol :Aah: "We can fix it for you here" :) ,

ps Karl, i have a couple of "Field" relatives (marriage-links) from
Summer Lane -Aston/Hockley area early 1900,s circa
Will send you some info later, Ok & cheers John Y

message for john young

john maybe u r right.....im very very interested in your rellies in bham....can you send me some data asap pleeeeessae....also is the only way of getting patient record through the birmingham central library ?.

Msg for Karl

Hi Karl, B,ham Library probably your best bet for Rubery Hospital records
1890 is well clear of the 100 year rulings discloure info etc but as prior
postee,s have said,,, hopefully those particular records have survived
And been sent to the archives undamaged/listed etc.
Have you got this particular persons Death Cert?, if not i would
suggest well worth obtaining, cause of death may well explain the need
for the sojourn in the Hospital & give you more info to trace :)

ps Not near my "Field,s" file at present (at Werk,,uurgh!)
will catch up exchange info next day or so,,, Cheers John Y 8)

Asylums

My Grandfather, David Clarke, died in the City Asylum. Lodge Road, the cause of death being paralysis for two years. Presumably these were places not just for mental illness but also for long term problems.

Personally, I can't see that it matters whether a relative had a physical or mental illness. Whichever, it's no reflection on their character.

roberta

can anyone tell me is ther a hospital called (all saints) or is it a street, or was it dudley road hosptial. please...

Winson Green Asylum Lodge Rd Winson Green opened in 1850 In later years it was renamed All Saints Hospital. It closed in April 2000.

Rubery Hill Asylum was opened in 1882 as an overflow hospital for Winson Green Asylum.

pmc1947

Back