• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

If you read my post carefully - he was released from Birmingham (in 1887) then admitted in Worcestershire (in 1889) where he died.

Janice

I have also found a possible entry in 1850. The images give the admission numbers.
Joseph Field 1850.jpgJoseph Field 1883.jpgJoseph Field 1889.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jess

My Gt Grandmother was in Rubery Hill Asylum she died there in 1893 & was buried in the grounds, I found a lot of information at the old library they have an old plan of the burial ground but it i couldn't pin point where she was buried ,most of the grounds have new houses built on now but there is one part grassed over with a memorial plaque on the gate, i have live close by for 40 yrs and it was only when i researched my family tree i found this out i had been passing the ground twice a week without realising. Before that she was in Powick asylum in Worcester, she was living in Balsall Heath at the time

Regards Pat

Hello Jess I worked at Ruberyhill for many years and administor a facebook page for that hospital, prior to its closure I presented an visual history of RHH and took and archived many photos prior to that closure .Due to confidentiality I cannot supply photos of Patients but can help with photos /videos of what it was like.

Hello Lily,

My Gt Grandmother died in RHH & is buried in the grounds in 1893, she was only 39 yrs old, I know you cannot pass on photo's but is there anywhere I could view them ? her name was Elizabeth Roberts, I have seen some of her records she was in Powick in Worcester before RHH opened. Pat

Hello Pat if you are on facebook look for the Rubery hill hospital site it is a closed site so send in a request for membership. the site is intended for ex staff and patients or people who have a geniune interest in Rubery Hills history. there are some interesting photos going back to its building in the 1880s if you look down the threads as stated it does not have pictures of patients and is not intended for people with a morbid interest

Hi Jess

If you are still researching by any chance, my ancestor, Clara Smith, was admitted to Rubery Hill on 20th July 1904 and died there on 23rd April 1906. She had a weak and feeble heart.

If you find anything I'd be very interested to hear from you. I don't have photos of her, but have a few facts and I've recently found a relative so we are in the process of swapping information about the family.

Hi Jess

As its over a year I'm just checking you are still a member of this forum?

I've just located a great uncle that was a patient at Rubery Hill on the 1939 Register. I've been trying to piece together his life for my aunt, his niece.

I'm aware he's deceased (he was born in 1906) but also conscious of the 100 year rule and I'm guessing I need to contact the archives in Birmingham to gain any sort of access. Just wondered what your thoughts were and if you had any pointers/advice/contact names emails etc.

I've been in touch with 'Sez' on this forum about a different institution so I'm very aware of the restrictions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi I have been trying to locate admission details/info for a relative , Charles Clarence Paddock , who spent 50 years (1924 -1974) as a patient in Rubery Hill Hospital - last few years as a transfer patient to Hollymoor Hospital . Armed with Charles death certificate I contacted Birmingham Archives and for the princely sum of £32 ( £16 per half hour search ) I was sent a sparse and extremely disappointing one line image with 'C Paddock June 1924' and mention from the 'Archivist' that he was a Roman Catholic ('RC') and ane added comment by the Archivist that Charles was admitted from home. I was not permitted to visit and view ... hardly value for money . I realise the need for the 100 year rule - but surely family has a right to know about these 'secrets swept under the carpet' from days gone by. Surely some institution must have the Admissions Books ? Any ideas??

Last edited:
According to the Lunacy Patients Admission Register on Ancestry as Joseph Field was admitted (to Birmingham asylum) on 2nd July 1883 and discharged 7 April 1887 but there had been no improvement. The cause of death may not be related to why he was in the asylum. I understand that some chemicals involved in many trades (before Health and safety) ould cause forms of insanity. There is also a Joseph Field admitted on 14 March 1889 and died 5 April 1890 (this says Worcester asylum - I assume Rubery). No other details are given on the record.

Janice
Janice , i dont know whether he was admitted twice , all i know is that he died in there , are the dates of birth the same on the two admissions

I am trying to chase records of my Great Uncle Joseph Ellison who was taken into Rubery Hill during WW1. He had shell shock and died there in early 1980s I believe.

Im not sure where to go from here. Can anyone kindly help please.

Thanks you
Jean B

Greetings,
Back around 1940 to 1960 or later there was a Doctor or Consultant whose surname sounded similar to 'FANUARY' who served at either of the aforementioned institutions. It is rumored that he is my Grandfather.
My Grandmother, Nellie/Ellen Thompson also served as a Nursing Sister.
If anyone can shed light on this gentleman it would be greatly appreciated. He was thought to be of foreign descent, maybe North Africa or Mediterranean descent.
Looking forward to responses.

As this could be a sensitive issue I have sent you a PM - to read it click on the envelope in the top right of the page by your name.
It is just a name which might be a possibility. However, I have no way of knowing where he worked or his circumstances at the time.

Last edited:
You will need to apply for them - if you contact Birmingham Archives they should be direct you to the NHS organisation that should be able to help you (they helped me but it was so long ago I applied I am afraid I cant rmemebr what it was called). Best wishes J

Does anyone know how I might source a copy of the book ' Rubery Hill Hospital - as hort history'. I have tried various book sellers with no avail?

Thank you

Best wishes
J

Hello all - I hope at least some of you are still active on this thread even though I am evidently years late in my response. I have recently posted about Rubery Hill Asylum as I am doing my MA dissertation on it - please see my recent post.
I am actually active in the archives currently and am spending a lot of time looking through medical casebooks, admission records, discharge notes etc. etc. What I hope to do is construct patient narratives from these records. If there is anyone who you would like information on I am sure I can help you and do some research for you. I am looking at Rubery Hill from when it opened 1882 until 1914 due to the 100 year closure of information act so anything you want about a friend or relative in that time period i would certainly be happy to help you - perhaps you have some old letters or family photos of that particular relative which you wouldn't mind giving me copies of - I can then include them in the narrative I construct.
Hope this helps and someone sees it - sorry it is so late.
Jess
Ohhhhh hi jess coiuld you poss get some background for me please on one of my rels that died in there ?

Back