• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

Greetings Karl and many thanks for your response. I will certainly look into this for you and give you a call/drop you an email with the findings. I note from other posts he was in the admissions book which is great, what I will try and do is track him in the medical case books as they contain much more detail, although the Birmingham library do not have the full set but fingers crossed they have your relative. They are often very hard to understand due to the hand writing - I have been using two magnifine glasses and exercising every ounce of patience I have with them.

Just for clarity can you confirm for me his full name and dob, date of admission and death (aware below but in case the other poster has got mixed up - as they state he was discharged but you stated he died there...wanted you to confirm that). Do you have any photographs of him or old family letters from or about him?

Many thanks
Hi Jess . its Joseph Field , he died in there in 1890.

Changinman. Jess doesn't seem to have been on the site since 2015. You also asked her back then in post 37.

Perhaps loosely connected to your requirements, unfortunately nothing to do with patients but....
Looking through Romsley area census returns I see that:-
Mary Course of Dayhouse Bank worked as a mental nurse worked there in 1921
and even further removed from patients......
Andrew Waldron Hill & Arthur Rowland Hill of Hillsdene, (Dayhouse Bank area), worked as painters.
More 1921 employee information may follow from Romsley area census and other areas.

My father used to deliver parcels for British rail, his round included Rubery. During the school holidays I used to go with him and sometimes there were parcels for Rubery hospital. I never forgot the shock of seeing a row of patients, about 10 of them, pulling a large wooden truck with gardening stuff in it. The shock was seeing them all tied together with a thick rope around their waist all in a row, quite a few were Downs Syndrome men who possibly had been there all their life. I never forgot seeing that as a 9 year old boy in the 1950's.

Last edited:
Someone I'm researching was resident at '1959A Bristol Road South, Rubery' at the time of their death - can anyone confirm that this address was Rubery Hill Hospital please? - he did have dementia, it was one of the causes of death.
Hi Lloyd, I've just found out that my father's uncle Frank lived at that address until 1977. Is he your relation too? I think that particular building was the old lodge house.

Hi I am a new member, I am an avid Ancestry Member I find it difficult to get much information as I live in New Zealand.
My Fathers family have lived in Birmingham for years. I found out that my great great grandfather who was a gem setter in the jewellery area died in Rubery Hill Hospital, so I am really keen to find out information regarding his admission.

There are patient records held by the Birmingham Archives. How complete they are is anyone's guess and they would be subject to the 100 year rule. As I don't think anyone at the Archives would look for you, it may difficult for you to find the info you require from NZ but here's the link...

Hi I am a new member, I am an avid Ancestry Member I find it difficult to get much information as I live in New Zealand.
My Fathers family have lived in Birmingham for years. I found out that my great great grandfather who was a gem setter in the jewellery area died in Rubery Hill Hospital, so I am really keen to find out information regarding his admission.
hi and welcome....do you know where your gt gt grandfather is buried...if not we maybe able to find out for you...what was his name when was he born and when did he die? any info may help us unless of course you already know his burial place

lyn

Ohhhhh hi jess coiuld you poss get some background for me please on one of my rels that died in there ?
Hi Jess My Grt Grt Grandfather Frederick Upton was admitted to Rubery Hill 22nd May 1882 he died there 30t September 1888.
I would love some information on him.

It appears your Frederick was admitted first before 1881to All Saints asylum in the area where he lived although the census information is sketchy but the age is correct and his 2 youngest children Julia b 1869 and Matilda b 1871 are in Marston Green cottage homes.
I have been unable to find Selina.

There are records of Baptism of Mary Jane,Sarah and Julia on Dec 4th 1875, their address is Workhouse, parents Frederick , a Gem setter and Selina.

Last edited:
hi and welcome....do you know where your gt gt grandfather is buried...if not we maybe able to find out for you...what was his name when was he born and when did he die? any info may help us unless of course you already know his burial place

lyn
Hi
Hi Jess My Grt Grt Grandfather Frederick Upton was admitted to Rubery Hill 22nd May 1882 he died there 30t September 1888.
I would love some information on him.
Hi Alberta I don't know where he is buried unfortunately. I am travelling over from NZ to UK early September and hoping to do a bit of investigation. So, any advice would be appreciated.

Hi

Hi Alberta I don't know where he is buried unfortunately. I am travelling over from NZ to UK early September and hoping to do a bit of investigation. So, any advice would be appreciated.
hi mj bailey i take it frederick married a selina barrett in 1864 at st philips cathedral birmingham...i am just looking at their marriage certificate...there is a family tree on ancestry that states that his wife selina died in 1934..the tree holder also has put on a photograph of one of his children matilda who died in 1950...are you aware of this tree on ancestry ? if you are not i am happy to post you the photo of matilda maria upton and also fred and selinas marriage cert...so far i am having no luck tracing where frederick is buried

lyn

Last edited:
There are 2 Selina Uptons born around the same timeone married to George but,going back to my post 73 your Selina and Frederick had a daughter Julia who married Arthur Devonport
In 1891 they are in Copper street , west Bromwich
Arthur Devonport . Julia Devonport
May devonport age 3 daughter
Clara Upton 8 sister in law
Selina Upton 50 mother in law.

In 1901 the Devonport family at Whitehall road , West Bromwich with children
May, Charles, George,Sydney,and Harold
Selina Upton age 60

In 1911 the Devonport family is in Saltney, Queensferry, Flintshire, Wales
Selina says age 73.

Selina Upton died in Saltney in 1924.

hi alberta...the tree holder states selina died in 1934 not 24 could you double check that please also should the place of death be saltley...thanks alberta

lyn

The Selina Upton who died in Aston 1934 was Selina E Upton age 75 , ( Selina Emma Frazier married George Upton in 1879 at age 20, )

The other Selina who married Frederick would have been abt 95/6 in 1934.
She died in 1924 age 85, registered Hawarden which is the registration place for Saltney where she lived in 1911.
I think the tree holder saw a Selina Upton in Aston without checking ages ,possibly presuming that she always lived in this area.(although they have her living in Wales in 1911 on the tree)
It happens quite a lot in Ancestry family trees.

Selina was age 23 when she married Frederick Upton at St Phillips on Feb 22nd 1864, she was registered in Mar 1840 so perhaps married just before her 24th birthday.

Last edited:
Hi Tim:)
I live just down the road from Rubery Hill Hospital (as was) I know that some of the people who died there were buried in the hospital grounds.couldn't say where the records would be but i am sure someone on the forum will be able to help you..good luck
Maggie
hi can you give me the address of the graveyard please as my gt great GF did there

Back