• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rubber Works Aston

jane k

master brummie
In 1911 my gt-grandfather was working as a curer at the "Rubber Works, Aston" Could anyone give me more information about this?
At the time he lived in Apna Place, Cato Street, Saltley

"curing" is another name for cross-linking of polymer chains. Synthetic rubber. for example, could have repeat monomeric units of styrene, butadiene and perhaps methacrylic acid to form long polymeric chains. Cross-linking, or curing, of these single chains enables a strong network of polymers to be formed. This curing is often done using sulphur-containing compounds in which case the term "vulcanisation" may be applied. The curing process gives rise to tougher, more wear-resistant and more solvent- and oil-resistant materials.

Thankyou everyone, that`s all very interesting. He actually died in1922 from liver cancer. I wonder if being in contact with all of those chemicals had anything to do with it.

Just out of interest, does that building still exist? Is it what I have heard called "Fort Dunlop"?

Thankyou everyone, that`s all very interesting. He actually died in1922 from liver cancer. I wonder if being in contact with all of those chemicals had anything to do with it.

Just out of interest, does that building still exist? Is it what I have heard called "Fort Dunlop"?
Back in 1922 liver cancer would have been and is still often an umbrella term for several types of cancer, so it would be difficult to connect it with occupational health problems.

Back