• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RTP Potato Crisps

Edifi

master brummie
My uUncle Horace Round and 2 friends
started RTP Crisps in Saltley Rd in the 50s.Think all the family helped out ..I used to help in school holidays cleaning the potatoes before they went to be chipped for frying.My. DAD tried them the ladies bagged them,then I put 24 into a metal tin and sealed it with tape .Twice a week going out in the van delivering them.Later on he started Porky Scratchings.And the Co is still going now.Anyone remember

started RTP Crisps in Saltley Rd in the 50s.Think all the family helped out ..I used to help in school holidays cleaning the potatoes before they went to be chipped for frying.My. DAD tried them the ladies bagged them,then I put 24 into a metal tin and sealed it with tape .Twice a week going out in the van delivering them.Later on he started Porky Scratchings.And the Co is still going now.Anyone remember
I remember RTP crisps. At school there was a lad who sold packets of "Crisp bits", which were broken and half crisps bagged up and sold off cheaply. I'm sure he said these RTP crisps. He started off selling them for his own benefit and pocketing all the profits but when the form master found out he had to make a weekly contribution to the "Cot Fund", the school charity collection. That particular year our form was well out in front in the annual contributions. He only did it for a year and then decided he wasn't earning enough out of it. Given his business acumen then he's probably a millioniare by now :D

Many,many years ago I was approx. 10 yrs old I found a square tin at the side of the road, it was sealed up with tape, I took the tin home and asked my dad to open it, he did and it was full of packets of RTP crisps.
My dad was a stickler for honesty , he contacted the factory and they said someone would call to collect the tin and reward the finder.
A man did call took the tin and gave me my reward TWO PKTS OF CRISPS, My dad was not amused. :mad:

Neva haired on em!
Dave A

Moturn there was no crinkle cut in the early 50s After my father had fried the scratchings I used to break them up with a wooden block to make them small enough to get in the bags after seasoning them all for £2 a week

Many,many years ago I was approx. 10 yrs old I found a square tin at the side of the road, it was sealed up with tape, I took the tin home and asked my dad to open it, he did and it was full of packets of RTP crisps.
My dad was a stickler for honesty , he contacted the factory and they said someone would call to collect the tin and reward the finder.
A man did call took the tin and gave me my reward TWO PKTS OF CRISPS, My dad was not amused. :mad:
at least he was honest. finders keepers is .still STEALING. ... the two bags of crips,is better than giving him a drink,that might have been water. lol:joy:

Hi there, Yes I remember the crisps very well. They were delicious very tasty indeed! Your uncle Horace must have supplied them to Alma Street School because that is where I remember them from.
We had a biscuit lady called Mrs Hands who would come into the classrooms just before the morning milk break. As I recall everything she sold was 3d. There were small packets of various flavoured biscuits that contained 3 or 4 custard creams etc; Sports (a single chocolate biscuit) and the RTP crisps. All washed down with that lovely ice cold creamy milk!

Many thanks to your uncle Horace and Co;
Linda

Manytthanks Linda.inmy teens it was good to earn a few pounds from my uncle it was much appreciated

Thanks Linda for your nice reply.It was good to earn a bit of money in the early 50s.It made a change from Spud picking atColeshil

Thanks Linda for your nice reply.It was good to earn a bit of money in the early 50s.It made a change from Spud picking atColeshil
Edifi, where were you spud picking. My wife's sister was married to a farmer in Coleshill and when I met my wife she was living at Brickfield Farm in Coleshill.

Used to get the pick up at the BSA at Tile Cross at 9 -00 .get to some farm in the Coleshill area .Sometime we would pick potatoes sometime Sugar Best.The farmer would bring a large urn out full of tea at dinner time.It was hard work at 12-13 years of age.Its a pity the youngsters of today couldn't try it,they might have a different attitude to life

Dave A.I know I had a sharp knife and was told if I saw any to try and scrape them of,but the women were fast Packers and sometimes I couldnot keep up with them so missed some:D:D

Dave A.I know I had a sharp knife and was told if I saw any to try and scrape them of,but the women were fast Packers and sometimes I couldnot keep up with them so missed some:D:D
Ironically...I'm an animal lover and haven't eaten meat for more than 10 years...
Dave A

On the contrary...I'm an old fart like most people on this forum. That's probably why I don't recall them. I remember pork scratchings, some of them still had the pigs hair...
Dave A
Hi
Ha ha ha you’ve just made me laugh out loud re; hairs on scratchings. My dad would say the hairs won’t hurt you. He also said the hair on pigs feet wouldn’t hurt you either. As much as I loved the scratchings and pigs feet I wouldn’t eat the hairy ones!
Happy days
Linda

I used to love pork scratchings, not the hairy ones though.
I wouldn't touch them now, haven't eaten meat since the 80's, but even more for the reason my teeth couldn't cope with them!

My mother also worked for RTP after she retired from Marsh & Baxter's.When she worked at M&B she would bring home Pigs Tails to have in a Stew.I still have them in stews now.The are so tasty ,it's only Pork

My dad loved pigs tail stew too (hairs an all)! My mom preferred chitterlings and hodge as do I. Mom would send me to a shop on Wheelers Street Lozells most Thursday tea times for the hot just cooked delicacy. I recall having to be at the shop pretty prompt as they sold out very quickly. On my way home I would poke a hole in the wrapper and tease a bit of chitterling out. Mmmmm they were so good!

Linda

Last edited:
Back