• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

RTP Potato Crisps

I worked for them when they were in Washford heath / alum rock, Bennett Road.

My Uncle David worked here and got me a job. I worked under Horace Round until he passed then Brian, his son took over. We were in Bennetts Road at the time and I worked in the store room under the supervision of "BUBBLES" or Nick Parslow as his real name was. I was there 2 and a bit years before getting a job at the METRO-CAMMEL.

Carolina.Nothing to do with Smiths.RTP stood for Round Taylor & Price.They were all in the RAF flying a Lancaster Bomber during the War and all put some money into the business in the late 40s.They were all nice people and and Horace Round was my Uncle and quite a few of the family worked for them.
Really interested to have found this forum. My Grans brother was Ken Taylor. I remember my gran tell me about Rpt, both my gran and grandad helped with the setup of the business in the early 50s. Any more information would be greatly appreciate. John

Hi All, I’m John Weaver’s father, my mother Barbara Weaver was Ken Taylor’s brother.
My mother used to fill the salt twist bags to go in the crisp bags in her kitchen and my father Norman would deliver the tins of crisps on his bicycle.
The crisps were absolutely delicious although there weren’t many spare for us to eat as it was when the business was only just starting up, as for the Pork Scratchings they started my life long addiction to them.
RTP also diversified into supplying a variety of sweets.
I can vividly recall a photograph of Uncle Ken in his white forces uniform, I’m trying to recall if it was the Fleet Air Arm where Round, Taylor and Price met?
RTP was founded on a succession basis whereby the last man standing’ inherited the business, Price died first then Ken Taylor so leaving the business to Horace.
Happy days.

Back