• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royalty Cinema Harborne

My friend had a job there selling the bingo books, but seemed to spend half her time picking old ladies up off the toilet floor.

There is a huge fire at the cinema - just seen on another website!

Sorry, can't post any links from my phone - perhaps another member will.

Very sad but also perhaps rather suspicious.

just looked at the video footage and it looks unsavable to me...been waiting for years for the old ABC cinema bottom of hockley hill to go the same way but somehow it is still standing...just about

lyn

Another big, prime site in a desirable location. A property developers dream. Say no more. Viv.

Well the bottom has fallen out of retail on the High Street everywhere, so I presume it will be predominantly housing of some kind. Arsonists rarely get charged and certainly never the person who slipped 'em a few quid to do it.

Maurice

If all is now lost in saving the whole building, maybe the council will reconsider keeping just the frontage - developers included this in their original plans which were rejected by the council. Such an interesting feature.

The cynic in me says maybe that was the plan ? Viv.

If all is now lost in saving the whole building, maybe the council will reconsider keeping just the frontage - developers included this in their original plans which were rejected by the council. Such an interesting feature.

The cynic in me says maybe that was the plan ? Viv.

well i would not want to lay any money that you are wrong viv

lyn

Looking at the videos of the fire I'd guess it's pretty well a write off. As there had been a previous fire I'd have thought it would have become a priority for security observation. So sad if someone thought it so useless that they'd destroy it. Interesting to see the fire brigade pouring water on the house opposite, where I was born!!

Handlebar
To developers everything is useless. Even if it is something they have themselves built, there is still a profit in its destruction

Drove past this evening. Frontage looks as if it is still intact. Area fenced off and there was a police van and a fire engine on the forecourt. As I was driving I could not see much more.

david they will spend days there to get to the crux of the start of the fire they will leave no stone untouched and if anybody knows about these listed building and if there was a comretive brick layed they will take that first before anybody demolished it i know of another building afew years back where there was a special brick enlaiden into the bottom corner of the bulding which was a 1oo year building and i was told this by an wittness seeing some one take the brick and wrapp it up in wax paper and they said to me at the same time some one new of its heareatage meaning some one new about it plus the fact the police will be awaiting the fire service report and keep the tatters at bay

Demolition signs on the fences around The Royalty. The 2011 Grade II listing has not saved it, if it is to be knocked down!

The Royalty Trust website says there is to be a meeting at the end of October to discuss what to do with the place. That was dated end of September - nothing posted since then.

Well the bottom has fallen out of retail on the High Street everywhere, so I presume it will be predominantly housing of some kind. Arsonists rarely get charged and certainly never the person who slipped 'em a few quid to do it.

Maurice
Maurice, I googled view. the old shops down the street in Yardley, that my dear Mom shopped at each day, they are now houses, all gone.even the sweet shop I loved to visit!!

Back