• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire / Royal Engineers

griff2018

I'm trying to find out more detail about my great grandfather, William Henry Griffiths, Service number 213025 Royal Engineers / Royal Warwickshire. Where is the best place to start looking please? We have his hardtack 'biscuit' and cap badge and would love to learn more about him only don't know where to start.

I'm also looking for information on my great grandfather, Robert Vinnicombe, Service number 5469, 9th Battalion Royal Warwickshire. He was awarded the Military Medal.

I'm trying to find out more detail about my great grandfather, William Henry Griffiths, Service number 213025 Royal Engineers / Royal Warwickshire. Where is the best place to start looking please? We have his hardtack 'biscuit' and cap badge and would love to learn more about him only don't know where to start.

I'm also looking for information on my great grandfather, Robert Vinnicombe, Service number 5469, 9th Battalion Royal Warwickshire. He was awarded the Military Medal.

I noticed you'd not yet had any replies so thought I'd have a look (Forces War Records) and whilst I couldn't find any more information on William Henry than you already have, I found this for Robert. Whether it helps or not I'm not sure but maybe it will?

First Name: R
Surname: Vinnicombe
Birth Town: Birmingham
Service Number: 5469
Gazette Info:
Gazette Number 31257, Military Medal, His majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the Military Medal fro bravery in the field to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, non-commissioned Officers and Men
Gazette Date: 28/03/1919
Gazette Page: 4128
Duty Location: Mesopotamia
Service: British Army
Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Battalion: 9th Battalion

Do you have a place and date of birth for William

Hi. There are a few William H Griffiths on A****try. Do you have any other information on him such as spouse, siblings or sons/daughters? I want to try to ensure we get the right one that's all. Maybe you have some other dates or places? I'm assuming the fact he joined the Royal Warwickshire that he was somewhere in the midlands area but that doesn't necessarily compute of course. I have found 2 William H Griffiths in the 1939. Does this look like the correct one(s) by any chance? Can work out how old he was if it is although the second date is very hard to read as you can see. Brierley Hill is in or near Dudley in the West Midlands so it could be right for the Royal Warwickshire too perhaps. :)

Attachments

• tna_r39_5377_5377e_005.jpg
    tna_r39_5377_5377e_005.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back