• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

My great G/father was discharged with shell shock in 1917 and sent to Monyhull Colony in Northfield.My mother thought he had been killed in the war.In 1965 she some how found out he had died in the mental hospital.What a terrible shock it was.I still have his medals and Indian Rupees when he served in India

It certainly must have been a terrible shock, Edifi. But a lot of factors come into play. especially your GGF's mental condition and the ages of the various relatives involved, before criticising the wiseness or otherwise of this decision.

Families are strange things. My father had a brother who was 16 years older than himself. He never spoke about him, nor did his sisters, and when my father died when I was 13 years old, my mother and I were not surprised when he didn't turn up at the funeral as we had never met him and we assumed that he must have died before my parents married in 1933. I didn't find out until a few years ago that the brother didn't die until nine months after my father. He had had children and grand children, and according to the electoral roll, one of the latter is still alive and living in Sutton Coldfield.

I've been reluctant to contact him because the families would be complete strangers, and we'd be unlikely to meet. I think you have to know the full facts before you can make a personal judgement in your family's case.

Maurice

Hi Edifi,
Yes, it must have been a shock to the man`s family, but he was - sadly - not alone, there were many many men who became victims of this, many never recovered and many were not treated as being ill. Monyhull Colony, as was, was actually on Monyhull Hall Road, between Kings Heath and Kings Norton. I forget when it closed.
Regards, cresser.

Interesting to see photographs of the Royal Warwicks WW1. My Uncle was killed at the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916. I discovered this when I was tracing the family history. My fathers elder brother who 20 when he died. My father died before I was a year old, so I knew nothing of his family. When bodies of soldiers were found at Fromelles I contacted the authoritories who said that his name was on their list and so my brother had to send D.N.A.samples to them. Unfortunately my uncles body was not amongst those found. However, we were told that D.N.A. would be stored for future reference. There are no photographs of him and his army records were destroyed when the building that housed them was either burned or flooded not sure which. He was in the 2/6 Royal Warwicks which I believed was the Territorials

there are some great folks on here Pauljon, someone with military history of the Warwick.s will be able to help in some way, my Grandfathers records were destroyed in enemy action in 42, but the Black Watch Association, helped me and I have his medals and all his history and photo's now. Regards Paul

There several mentions of deaths and those missing in the local papers. If you can give name?

Interesting to see photographs of the Royal Warwicks WW1. My Uncle was killed at the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916. I discovered this when I was tracing the family history. My fathers elder brother who 20 when he died. My father died before I was a year old, so I knew nothing of his family. When bodies of soldiers were found at Fromelles I contacted the authoritories who said that his name was on their list and so my brother had to send D.N.A.samples to them. Unfortunately my uncles body was not amongst those found. However, we were told that D.N.A. would be stored for future reference. There are no photographs of him and his army records were destroyed when the building that housed them was either burned or flooded not sure which. He was in the 2/6 Royal Warwicks which I believed was the Territorials

there are some great folks on here Pauljon, someone with military history of the Warwick.s will be able to help in some way, my Grandfathers records were destroyed in enemy action in 42, but the Black Watch Association, helped me and I have his medals and all his history and photo's now. Regards Paul
Thank you for your interest, The Royal Warwicks Museum in Warwick helped me a lot and I have a history of the day of the battle and I was able to obtain a copy of his death certificate. There is also his name on the roll of honor records in St. Mary's church. Warwick. I have been trying to find out where he enlisted and if there are any photographs anywhere of him. My husband and myself went to the battle fields and there we found his name engraved on the memorial at Loos.
Regards Pauljon

After a break from research I have now once again looked at all the information I have on my Uncle Bertram Brittle who was killed on 19th July 1916 at Fromelles, he served in 2/6 Warwicks. There are missing links I still have to find, I have not been able to find when and where he enlisted, what he did before joining up, or any photographs that there may be of him. I did not know my fathers family so could not obtain any info from that source. I wondered if there is anyone who would have any more information about the 2/6th Royal Warwicks. St. John's museum in Warwick have been able to give a lot of information but not the questions I am seeking answers to. I enjoy reading the the stories of relatives of men of Royal Warwicks Reg.
Thank you all for such interesting accounts.

The 2/6th, along with the 2/5th, 2/7th & 2/8th Royal Warwickshire were originally raised in the opening weeks of the war as reserve battalions for the 1/6th battalion etc
However the war office decided to send them to France in the newly created 61st Infantry Division. They went on active service about June 1916

Thank you Terry, for this additional information I did not know that they formed part of the 61st Infantry Division. I did know that he was in the reserves. I have a copy of the last letter he wrote to his mother (my grandmother) this dated 28th June 1916 address Pte Brittle No. 3872 A. Coy R. War. R B.E.F. France. and he was killed on 19th July 1916. Fromelles. The original is lodged in War Memorials St. Chad's Cathedral Birmingham. I found this by chance, I visited their archives and the priest in charge told me that after the war they asked relatives if they had any memorabilia of men that belonged to the church who had lost their lives as they wanted to create an everlasting memory. He very carefully took the letter out of the sleeve it had been placed in and I held it in my hands, it was written what looked like pencil. I felt very emotional reading it. He gave me a copy to keep. It must have been a big effort for my grandmother to part with her son's last letter. She died long before I was born. I am extremely grateful for any snippet of Info.

My great uncle was in the 2/5th RWR. 4314 Pte (Drummer) E Spiers. He was killed in action on 8th August 1916. Awarded the MM and DCM as on his gravestone at PONT-DU-HEM MILITARY CEMETERY, LA GORGUE. Just 18 yrs old. Does anyone know of any photos which may show him. he was a drummer. Thanks for any help anyone.

After a break from research I have now once again looked at all the information I have on my Uncle Bertram Brittle who was killed on 19th July 1916 at Fromelles, he served in 2/6 Warwicks. There are missing links I still have to find, I have not been able to find when and where he enlisted, what he did before joining up, or any photographs that there may be of him. I did not know my fathers family so could not obtain any info from that source. I wondered if there is anyone who would have any more information about the 2/6th Royal Warwicks. St. John's museum in Warwick have been able to give a lot of information but not the questions I am seeking answers to. I enjoy reading the the stories of relatives of men of Royal Warwicks Reg.
Thank you all for such interesting accounts.
Hi Paul
Have you looked on Ancestry? There are several mentions of a Bertram Brittle on there. St Johns were very helpful when I was looking for info on my grandfather who was also in the regiment.

Hi Katrina, Thank you for your interest, and info. I wonder if there is anyone who's relative served in the 2/6 Warwicks around the same time as my Uncle Bertram. (my name is Pauline)

Hi Katrina, Thank you for your interest, and info. I wonder if there is anyone who's relative served in the 2/6 Warwicks around the same time as my Uncle Bertram. (my name is Pauline)
Hi Pauline
Do you have his soldiers will? I have found a copy, just waiting for it to be downloaded if you want it? Also details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the medals he was awarded. I have tried looking for him on the National War Role with no joy I am afraid.....

Back