• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Sorry we posted at the same time as I amended my previous post. Are you sure he was at Gray's Road in 1918?
I thought he was, but in the 1911 census he is living at 4 Court Parker Street, Clarke Buildings, Waterworks Road, Edgbaston, I was always led to believe that they had always lived in Grays Road almost from the time they were married. Any help? If Mike reads this any chance of a map view of Parker Street?
Bob

Bob.
Bit of confusion here over the address. will give you 2 maps. The c1889 map shows court 4 in one part of Parker St, and the c1955 map does not label court 4, but does show Clarke buildings . the electoral roll for 1920 shows court 4 in the same position as in the c1889 map, which corresponds in shape and position to the Hamilton square marked on the c1955 map
map c 1955. Parker St.jpg map c1889 parker st.jpg

The actual address on the front of the document is 4 court 12 Parker street.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-20_22-53-29.png
    upload_2018-8-20_22-53-29.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 11
Bob.
Bit of confusion here over the address. will give you 2 maps. The c1889 map shows court 4 in one part of Parker St, and the c1955 map does not label court 4, but does show Clarke buildings . the electoral roll for 1920 shows court 4 in the same position as in the c1889 map, which corresponds in shape and position to the Hamilton square marked on the c1955 map
View attachment 127006 View attachment 127007
Many thanks Mike
Bob

Haven't found him yet in 1918 but in 1912 he was listed in Parker Street.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-21_15-57-48.png
    upload_2018-8-21_15-57-48.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 4
I have drawn a blank on the 1918 and 1919 absent voters register but they were still at 4 court 12 Parker Street in 1920. I did find Parker Street in 1918 but he wasn't listed on the register.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-21_16-6-33.png
    upload_2018-8-21_16-6-33.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 2
I have drawn a blank on the 1918 and 1919 absent voters register but they were still at 4 court 12 Parker Street in 1920. I did find Parker Street in 1918 but he wasn't listed on the register.
Very many thanks, I had always believed/assumed from family stories that Grays Road had always been there home, oh the travails of family histories, if only we had asked all the questions while they were alive. To try and find his wife's family, I actually paid a 'professional' genealogist, quite expensive who produced a family tree which was extremely incorrect, unfortunately it had been money up front and she had the affrontery to argue about facts that I knew were incorrect.
Bob

I did wonder if she went to stay with them but without their surname I was at loss to know where to look. Strange the address stayed the same before and after the war.
Janice

On the 1911 their son is named as Francis Norman and I have found these births on the GRO with mother's maiden name Durose.

DAVIS,
FRANCIS NORMAN mmn DUROSE GRO Reference: 1909 D Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 418 .
DAVIS, FREDERICK GEORGE mmn DUROSE GRO Reference: 1911 J Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 419
Births Mar 1913 Davis Lilian M Durose Kings N. 6d 158
Births Dec 1922 Davis Elsie M Durose King's N. 6d 152
Births Mar 1925 DAVIS Olive M mmn Durose Birmingham S. 6d 147

There is this marriage between John Davis and Elsie Durows December quarter 1908 Birmingham 6d 39.

Could be a red herring but there is a John Durose on the 1918 Absent voters at 7 court 9 Parker Street in 1918 service number 35186 Royal Berks so maybe there is a connection between the two.

I found him a well but Bob thought he was in the Royal Warwickshire so was going to try to investigate further.

On the 1911 their son is named as Francis Norman and I have found these births on the GRO with mother's maiden name Durose.

DAVIS,
FRANCIS NORMAN mmn DUROSE GRO Reference: 1909 D Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 418 .
DAVIS, FREDERICK GEORGE mmn DUROSE GRO Reference: 1911 J Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 419
Births Mar 1913 Davis Lilian M Durose Kings N. 6d 158
Births Dec 1922 Davis Elsie M Durose King's N. 6d 152
Births Mar 1925 DAVIS Olive M mmn Durose Birmingham S. 6d 147

There is this marriage between John Davis and Elsie Durows December quarter 1908 Birmingham 6d 39.

Could be a red herring but there is a John Durose on the 1918 Absent voters at 7 court 9 Parker Street in 1918 service number 35186 Royal Berks so maybe there is a connection between the two.
Frederick George was my father of all the children, only Elsie is still alive and living in Bradford. Francis Norman died young and for most of his life was paralysed after he fell down the steps to the cellar, which I had always assumed was at Grays Road, because there was a cellar there. Did back to backs have cellars? Although Dad when he was in his political phase worked Ladywood and as such spent a great deal of time in the back to backs, he never mentioned that he had lived in one. Incidentally the great family tree problem on Grandmothers side arises from the fact that the name was spelt Durows. He was definitely Royal Warwicks, because wghile recovering from being gassed he embroidered a regimental badge.
Bob

Just checked medal roll and John Durose (who may be related to Elsie) was definitely in the Royal Berks.
If John Davis was gassed that would possibly explain why he was not on the absent voters register as he might already have been home by then, Gong to check Silver War Badge records.

Just checked medal roll and John Durose (who may be related to Elsie) was definitely in the Royal Berks.
If John Davis was gassed that would possibly explain why he was not on the absent voters register as he might already have been home by then, Gong to check Silver War Badge records.
This is very kind of you and probably far beyond the call of duty, thank you
Bob

I have checked and there only seem to be 2 "John Davis" who qualified for a Silver War badge trough sickness. But neither served abroad and to be gassed I would expect him to have served overseas.

(I like a challenge!!).

Just tried tracking John and Elsie - (not all erolls are online) but 1930 still has them at 4 court 12 Parker Street then 1935 has them at 7 Grays Road. So that narrows down when they moved.

would anyone have any photos of my grandad, Private Harry Grimes 20005 Royal Warwickshire Regiment 10th Battalion. I am lucky I have his War Record WW1, but no photo. Thanks Janet.

My Great Grandfather Walter Watson Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action 8th May 1917 Arras France.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541893777036.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541893777036.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 14
Back