• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

My Grandfather joined up in 1912 and made it all the way through the war with just a shrapnel wound to his neck. I think he was pretty lucky.

He served in:
France 4.10.1914 – 4.8.1915
M.E.F (Gallipoli) 24.11.1915 – 15.2.1916
Mesopotamia & India 16.2.1916 – 19.2.1919

Here are 2 pages from the 2nd Battalion's war diary, one showing them finishing training at Lyndhurst Barracks and the second the days including Christmas 1914.

https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10215/2nd_batt_281061_x_150029.jpg

https://images.birminghamhistory.co...userpics/10215/2nd_batt_2_281065_x_150029.jpg

Image59.jpg

I can't open thumbnail on your post. I would like to see the photo as my Grandad and his brothers were in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and you never know they may be in your picture. How do you open the Thumbnails on this site please. (Don't worry they have opened now).

The pictures are great my Grandad was actually in the 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment he would have been among the soldiers. Brilliant to see.

I would love to see this photo... but all I see is a symbol of a paper clip and the words "attached thumbnails" I have noticed this on some of the older posts and assumed it was something to do with the 'hacking' problem but illumina3's pic was only recent... can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Ian

ACF1944 (2).jpgACF1944 (2).jpgAt 13 years of age I must have been one of the youngest lance/corporals in the
Royal Warwicks,(ACF of course at Cateswell House) Bernard
sorry about the double take.

My G G Uncle was in the 11th Batallion Royal Warwicks......George Stokes private 1590. He was killed on 13th August 1916 at Somme after being in the country since July 2015. Any photos would be greatly appreciated.
Janet

Unfortunately Janet there was no press report of his death in the Bham Weekly Post. He is commemorated on the Bham Roll of Honour in the Hall of Memory. He was killed in 11th Bn's night attack on August 12/13 on the Intermediate Line east of the Bazentin Le Petit-Martinpuich road. There were 162 casualties including 48 killed. Can you tell us anything else about him as there is no next of kin info in Commonwealth War Graves,

Thank you Alan.
His parents James and Lucy Stokes were already dead. He was unmarried and had 5 siblings. I think his next of kin would have to be the oldest sibling, my G Grandfather William James Stokes who lived at Ryland St in Ladywood.
I will research further.
Many thanks
Janet

Hi there,I was wondering Alan if you could find anything more about my great Uncle, Private Richard Jones 2281 he was in the 14 bn RWR. He died on 14th April 1918 in France, he was a stretcher bearer. I was wondering if it was possible to find out when he enlisted, on his medal cards it says eligable 22nd Aug 1914. He lived at 55 Glovers Rd Small Heath and was born in 1895.
I don't think his was records survived but would there be newspaper reports?
I would be grateful for any info, thank you
Barb

Barb

If you are right about his MIC then he started the war in the 1st Warwicks, regular army.22.8.14 was the date that they crossed from Southampton to Boulogne and then entrained for near Le Cateau. That means that he was a serving regular who were at home from c1912-14 based at Folkestone or was a reservist who had come out of the army and was called back. He would have ended up in the 14th because of a break in service e.g. a wound where, as the war wore on, you were less and likely to return to your old battalion. He did well to stay in the same regiment. See Terry Carter's book on the Bham Pals for what they were doing at the time of his death.

Thank you for your reply Alan, I thought maybe he was in the army before the war broke out. I think he was wounded a couple of times and also affected by gas, he must have had the constitution of an ox! My info is about 4th hand, passed on through the family so not often acurate!
Dick would have been 18 in 1913 so he could have been old enough to join up before war started.
Thanks for the hints :)

Sutton Park.jpg
Sorry this is such a poor copy. I've had to scan a print until I can find a better one which is 'missing' at the moment. I was told this was a canteen in Sutton Park during WW1 and that the soldiers were from the Royal Warwicks on training there. I think it originally appeared in a local paper.

The chef is my great uncle, William Henry Woolley. He was born in Birmingham became a cook on merchant ships and later at the Savoy. He left there (for reasons best not mentioned here!) and came back to Birmingham at the start of the 20th century. Is it indeed the regiment mentioned?

can someone help i have tryed to open the picture without success
as 3 of my great uncles was in the RWR all 3 died richard langford age 19 year francis betts ( sargent ) age 32years and charles concanen
age not sure of age
richard and charles are buried in france and francis died of wounds and is buried in torquay

Josie, have you managed to open the picture yet. Not sure how you do it but if you can send me your private e-mail via this site I'll send the j.peg direct to you.

thank you still cant get photo up i am new to all this and dont know how to send you private email will ask my son how to do it then will send it to you thank you for your help
josie

rwr.jpg

Could anybody help in locating where this photo was taken of the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire regiment? My Uncle Richard Langford is amongst the men shown, He died in 1916 in battle.

Back