• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Edifi

master brummie
My great G/father was discharged with shell shock in 1917 and sent to Monyhull Colony in Northfield.My mother thought he had been killed in the war.In 1965 she some how found out he had died in the mental hospital.What a terrible shock it was.I still have his medals and Indian Rupees when he served in India

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
It certainly must have been a terrible shock, Edifi. But a lot of factors come into play. especially your GGF's mental condition and the ages of the various relatives involved, before criticising the wiseness or otherwise of this decision.

Families are strange things. My father had a brother who was 16 years older than himself. He never spoke about him, nor did his sisters, and when my father died when I was 13 years old, my mother and I were not surprised when he didn't turn up at the funeral as we had never met him and we assumed that he must have died before my parents married in 1933. I didn't find out until a few years ago that the brother didn't die until nine months after my father. He had had children and grand children, and according to the electoral roll, one of the latter is still alive and living in Sutton Coldfield.

I've been reluctant to contact him because the families would be complete strangers, and we'd be unlikely to meet. I think you have to know the full facts before you can make a personal judgement in your family's case.

Maurice

cresser

master brummie
Hi Edifi,
Yes, it must have been a shock to the man`s family, but he was - sadly - not alone, there were many many men who became victims of this, many never recovered and many were not treated as being ill. Monyhull Colony, as was, was actually on Monyhull Hall Road, between Kings Heath and Kings Norton. I forget when it closed.
Regards, cresser.

pauljon

proper brummie kid
Interesting to see photographs of the Royal Warwicks WW1. My Uncle was killed at the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916. I discovered this when I was tracing the family history. My fathers elder brother who 20 when he died. My father died before I was a year old, so I knew nothing of his family. When bodies of soldiers were found at Fromelles I contacted the authoritories who said that his name was on their list and so my brother had to send D.N.A.samples to them. Unfortunately my uncles body was not amongst those found. However, we were told that D.N.A. would be stored for future reference. There are no photographs of him and his army records were destroyed when the building that housed them was either burned or flooded not sure which. He was in the 2/6 Royal Warwicks which I believed was the Territorials

paul stacey

master brummie
there are some great folks on here Pauljon, someone with military history of the Warwick.s will be able to help in some way, my Grandfathers records were destroyed in enemy action in 42, but the Black Watch Association, helped me and I have his medals and all his history and photo's now. Regards Paul

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
There several mentions of deaths and those missing in the local papers. If you can give name?

Interesting to see photographs of the Royal Warwicks WW1. My Uncle was killed at the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916. I discovered this when I was tracing the family history. My fathers elder brother who 20 when he died. My father died before I was a year old, so I knew nothing of his family. When bodies of soldiers were found at Fromelles I contacted the authoritories who said that his name was on their list and so my brother had to send D.N.A.samples to them. Unfortunately my uncles body was not amongst those found. However, we were told that D.N.A. would be stored for future reference. There are no photographs of him and his army records were destroyed when the building that housed them was either burned or flooded not sure which. He was in the 2/6 Royal Warwicks which I believed was the Territorials

pauljon

proper brummie kid
there are some great folks on here Pauljon, someone with military history of the Warwick.s will be able to help in some way, my Grandfathers records were destroyed in enemy action in 42, but the Black Watch Association, helped me and I have his medals and all his history and photo's now. Regards Paul
Thank you for your interest, The Royal Warwicks Museum in Warwick helped me a lot and I have a history of the day of the battle and I was able to obtain a copy of his death certificate. There is also his name on the roll of honor records in St. Mary's church. Warwick. I have been trying to find out where he enlisted and if there are any photographs anywhere of him. My husband and myself went to the battle fields and there we found his name engraved on the memorial at Loos.
Regards Pauljon