• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

H Katrina,
I did not know that there was a soldiers will and would be interested in seeing such a document. I found his name to begin my search on GWGC and he is on the Loos memorial. I also found his name in the casualties list published I think by the Birmingham Mail, one said posted missing and then a later one saying killed in action 19th July 1916 F.F. I am really grateful to add any further information to my records. I have a copy of the day of the battle which I obtained from St.John's Museum Warwick. When I went to the Hall of Memory in Birmingham to search for his name his surname was printed with an s so read Bertram Brittles 3872 2/6 Royal Warwicks After a lot of research copies of his birth certificate and death certificate, I presented my self to the town hall in Birmingham. They were very helpful and with my information to prove his name was incorrect they said they would contact me. It took 6 months as they had to research also I received a very nice letter saying it was now correct and I could view it whenever I wanted to. I was on the next train to Birmingham to see his name in the book correctly spelt.

Thanks
Pauline

H Katrina,
I did not know that there was a soldiers will and would be interested in seeing such a document. I found his name to begin my search on GWGC and he is on the Loos memorial. I also found his name in the casualties list published I think by the Birmingham Mail, one said posted missing and then a later one saying killed in action 19th July 1916 F.F. I am really grateful to add any further information to my records. I have a copy of the day of the battle which I obtained from St.John's Museum Warwick. When I went to the Hall of Memory in Birmingham to search for his name his surname was printed with an s so read Bertram Brittles 3872 2/6 Royal Warwicks After a lot of research copies of his birth certificate and death certificate, I presented my self to the town hall in Birmingham. They were very helpful and with my information to prove his name was incorrect they said they would contact me. It took 6 months as they had to research also I received a very nice letter saying it was now correct and I could view it whenever I wanted to. I was on the next train to Birmingham to see his name in the book correctly spelt.

Thanks
Pauline
I have attached his medal files.

Attachments

• Bertram Brittle Medals.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I used to have a little decorated, script, with the names of all those murdered by the "Waffen SS", on the retreat to Dunkirk, I don't know if anyone on here has one similar...

Back