• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

elaineball

My grandfather Joseph Hobday Moss is believed to have been a blacksmith in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I cannot find him on the 1901 census so presume that he may have been in the Boer War. He does not appear to have fought in WW1. Is it possible to find out whether he was in the regiment.H was born 1881 in Aston Birmingham and his mothers address on the 1901 census was 45 Park Street Aston. Many thanks.

There is a Medal Card on Ancestry UK for a Joseph H Moss who served as a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery, service number 31554. He was attached to the 3rd Divisional Ammunition Column.

He went to France on 19 August 1914 and was discharged on 17 December 1915.

This might be your grandfather.

Terry

Sorry I cannot upload the card, I have tried several times to save the image from Ancestry to my PC and it is not happening.

Terry,

This is the medal card you mentioned for a Joseph H. Moss. I was able to save it.

Ann

Re: Royal Warwickshire Regiment Rowland Dineley Fellows no. 144

This is I believe & hope the 2nd cousin to my grandad.
Have got his medal index card ( if it is the right man)
His Parents were William & Mary, sometimes Matilda.
On the 1911 census they were living at 35 Station Road Stechford and Rowland was 18.

Could there be a memorial in one of our churchyards?
Can anyone help with any more info on Rowland.

Derek

Pte Roland D Fellows was a member of the 16th (Service) Btl RWR, otherwise known as the 3rd Birmingham Batallion, he was in A company, 2 platoon.

Chucka

Hi, good morning

Do you have more information on this Roland?
can you find his parents names at all?
perhaps I should look at the MIC again

What are your thoughts

Hi Derek, sorry i have no more info except that he was an original volunteer into the Pals, thats where i found him on my database for the 14th, 15th, & 16th Bham Bts.

Chucka

Chukka:

Could you please check your lists for a Private Thomas George SHEPPARD, 309745 R.W.R.? I understand that he was the camp postman at Bovington Camp, Dorset during WW1, but know nothing more than that. Many thanks.

Maurice :cool:

Hi Maurice,
Sorry i cant help you with this one as looking at Pte Sheppards service number he would not have been one of the original Pals as their numbers only went up to around 1000. I only have database for those, sorry.

Chucka

No problem, Chucka, thanks for looking. :)

Dad died when I was a schoolboy and never spoke about his short time in the Army except to say that he was the postman at Bovington Camp. That being basically the home of the Tank Regiment, we always assumed that was what he had joined. I didn't even know his service number until discovering it on the Absent Voters List just a few months ago.

Pte Roland D Fellows was a member of the 16th (Service) Btl RWR, otherwise known as the 3rd Birmingham Batallion, he was in A company, 2 platoon.

Chucka

is there any other way I can get information on this soldier to see if he is our man or another soul with the same name.
Derek

Just one more thought - does anyone know when the 1920 Absent Voters List was compiled?

My late mother thought my father had gone into the Army in 1914 and was invalided out in 1916. From what Chucka tells me, it seems more likely, from his service number, that he went in in 1916 and came out at the end of the war. But how long after the end of the war were these guys discharged?

Thanks, Len.

And also to Sparkhill Lad for the link to the Kirkheaton Parish Clerk site from which the following quote is taken:-

Following the 1918 Act, the vote was given to all servicemen, and to provide a list of those eligible, many of whom were still mobilised, Absent Voters Lists were compiled. These run parallel to the normal electoral registers, and are thus compiled for each constituency, with the information being given by civil parish within each constituency, and alphabetically within each civil parish.
The information on a serviceman varies greatly, from a regiment to a service number and precise unit. Because the information was compiled while fighting was continuing, it is possible that men who subsequently died will appear in the Absent Voters Lists.
It is also necessary to bear in mind that the information was compiled from forms completed by family members at home, which may not have been clear about the serviceman’s precise details. Huddersfield Absent Voters List include 1918, spring 1919, autumn 1919 and 1920

EDIT: In other words, 1918 (not 1920 as I mentioned earlier) is no indication of when the named person left the service, or even if they did!

Sparkhill Lad: That list is just for the Huddersfield area. The Birmingham lists are on https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/index.html, but are not free and Roland Fellows is NOT listed there.

There is, however, this one:-

Fellows, Rowland, 3514I, Pte, r/6 R War RASC, STATION ROAD

Just been reading through this very interesting thread, and thought that you may be interested in seeing the attached photo.
Is is of a small lapel badge which I bought off e-bay a short while back. (For not a lot)
I bought it because my Father was in the Royal Warwicks during the Great War, he was at Galipoli.
I am interested in 1940's re-enacting, and wear it on my civvy 3 piece suit in honour of my Dad.
I've not seen another one before or since.
It measures about an inch across, and is made of what seems to be copper.

Attachments

• WR1 (1200x800).jpg
    WR1 (1200x800).jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 21
Back