• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire and Local regiments

morrl02

proper brummie kid
Hi

Myself and my husband have long collected medals and done family research, recently we have combined these to create The Weston Front (our surname is Weston!). We hope to bring the medals we have collected back to life with the stories of the heroic people that were awarded them. Its touching and an emotional endeavour as you read about some of these people and their story.

We are using a twitter fed @thewestonfront to do a weekly discussion where we hope to share yours, and our stories relating to a regiment or area. The first week is looking at The Royal Warwickshire Regiment and we would love to share your stories, photos or research requests with our followers.

We are also using our blog www.lornamattweston.blogspot.co.uk to give a the full story behind the medals, we have started the Royal Warwickshire week by telling the story of two medals that had been separated and sold at different ends of the UK, that we managed to reunite and have had court mounted so that they will never be split again. Please support us by reading our blog or following us on twitter.

More importantly we would love to share your stories, help you with your research if we can. Please message us, either through the forum, twitter or our blog

A very Interesting and rewarding thing to do. I have just had a look at your Blog, it's quite sad how these well earned medals get separated from their families. I would love to find the medals that belonged to my grandfather private 21818 Thomas W Bevan of the 12th Gloucester regiment. He died at Vimy on the 21st April 1917 and is buried at La Chaudière Cemetery in France. I recently by chance on a Google search found a Long service and good conduct medal that had sold in auction in 2007 that belonged to my 2nd Great grandfather Thomas Hanks, I would love to see the medal.Thomas Hanks 1793 Medal_1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
This lovely photo was put on our facebook page and the poster asked if anyone knows where the recruitment office was in Aston.

Warwickshire_Regiment_.png

A great photo!

The talk of medals reminds me that I've never seen my grandfather's medals, and wonder what happened to them.

Great-uncle Harry's WW1 medals were stolen years ago from his sister's house in Birmingham, though he was from Hitchin. Also stolen was his brass Christmas gift tin which was part of my childhood.

My Father was in 8th Batt. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, I have one of his medals framed and on a wall in my house, have no idea where the rest went to.
He fought at Gallipoli so I so I consider myself lucky to have been born when you think of what happened there.
Wish he was still here, I would love to talk about that campaign.

That great photo of the Warwicks, (does the blackboard say that they're on the Isle of Wight ?).
Sorry if this has already been dealt with but Robert Darius Neal is a very impressive name, as is Ernest Cornelius Neal, the postman on another thread.
It looks like 8923 Pte Robert died of wounds, 27 10 1914. Could he possibly be a brother of Ernest, with a father who liked to give his kids impressive names?

Thats right Baz, Saturday 15th August was in 1914.
The original poster on FB doesn't think it was taken on I.O.W.

Colin

I certainly wouldn't dream of arguing with the original poster, Colin but that looks like "I of W" on the blackboard.

Would anyone with access to censuses be able to find out if Robert Darius Neal had a brother, Ernest Cornelius ?
It would be an amazing coincidence, after all the excitement over the Erdington memorial plaque wouldn't it ?

That great photo of the Warwicks, (does the blackboard say that they're on the Isle of Wight ?).
Sorry if this has already been dealt with but Robert Darius Neal is a very impressive name, as is Ernest Cornelius Neal, the postman on another thread.
It looks like 8923 Pte Robert died of wounds, 27 10 1914. Could he possibly be a brother of Ernest, with a father who liked to give his kids impressive names?

Been looking at Corneleus Ernest Neal's background and not found any family links with Private Robert Darius Neal. He's not listed with Cornelius's family on the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census. They could of course be cousins, but not found definite links. When Private Robert Darius Neal was being raised in Bordesley/Aston, Birmingham, Cornelius was living in Coventry. However Cornelius's family did move to Aston Manor by 1901. For info Private R D Neal's service number was 8923 and he's buried in Ypres Town Cemetery. Viv.

Been looking at Corneleus Ernest Neal's background and not found any family links with Private Robert Darius Neal. He's not listed with Cornelius's family on the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census. They could of course be cousins, but not found definite links. When Private Robert Darius Neal was being raised in Bordesley/Aston, Birmingham, Cornelius was living in Coventry. However Cornelius's family did move to Aston Manor by 1901. For info Private R D Neal's service number was 8923 and he's buried in Ypres Town Cemetery. Viv.

Thanks for clearing that one up , Viv.

Hi Maypolebaz. Like you I do sense a family connection because of the choice of names and Cornelius's family relocation from Coventry to Aston Manor. If I come across anything else, will post it here.

Wendy's photo in post 3 is a great photo. But such sadness when you know that Pte R D Neal died only 3 months into the War. That may even be the case for others in the photo. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back