• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

Rupedenby

Many thanks indeed for the extract from your grandfather's book showing the date of my grandfather's death. Terry has also very kindly posted pages from a book in which my grandfather's name appears. My grandmother always used to say that he did not need to serve abroad. he had been training volunteers in Whittington Barracks but, apparently, he felt gulity about sitting out the war in England while so many he sent abroad got killed.

"Their training done, I shipped them all to France.
Where most of those I'd loved too well got killed.
Rapture and pale Enchantment and Romance,
And many a sickly, slender lord who'd filled
My soul long since with litanies of sin.
Went home, because they couldn't stand the din."

(from the Siegfried Sassoon poem, "Conscripts")

Once again, thank you for taking the trouble for me.

Just read this, and I'm interested to find out about the book Catkin says her grandfather Thomas Herrick
Wrote, I've tried to find it by author but no luck, can anybody help

Gott61,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm afraid no such book exists, because Catkin didn't say in her posts that he had written one. Just in case, I have checked the British Library & Academic Libraries, and no book exists by a Thomas Herrick. Incidentally, Catkin is no longer a member.

Maurice

My mistake, I have been collecting Warwickshire bits for some years mainly because of my Coventry family connections, I'm trying to find details of Arthur Moore born Coventry 1889. Son of John Moore & Emma Plover, we found this photo of Arthur (we believe) so been trying to find any books that might give us a lead.
So far he appears to be a bit of an enigma
Not knowing when he enlisted, Regiment or anything regarding is army service.
Again if you could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• 20190518_091311.jpg
    20190518_091311.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 13
There are two ways of interpreting the provenance of the book referred to by Maurice and Gott1.
The first that he wrote the book, which seems unlikely as it does not seem to exist. Secondly and the most probable interpretation is that the book was not written but owned by the grandfather..

Last edited:
Hi Gott61,

I know nothing about Army regimental badges, but there are several members here that do. Br aware that 60% of WW1 other ranks records were destroyed in a fire during WW2. Confirmation of regiment would be a start. He was certainly born in 1889, but I have not found a serviceman of that name, birth year & Coventry listed in surviving records. However, he will most likely exist in the WW1 Medal Rolls, but we need a regiment & service number to separate him from all the other "Arthur Moore"s.

On the 1911 Census, he was the only child of John & Emma still living at home at Charterhouse Mill, Coventry, his occupation being a carman & his father being a miller. If you are living in or near Coventry, the 1918 Absent Voters List will give his regiment & service number. Either Warwickshire Archives or the main library in Coventry should have a copy. Other members will no doubt be able to add further information in due course.

Maurice

My mistake, I have been collecting Warwickshire bits for some years mainly because of my Coventry family connections, I'm trying to find details of Arthur Moore born Coventry 1889. Son of John Moore & Emma Plover, we found this photo of Arthur (we believe) so been trying to find any books that might give us a lead.
So far he appears to be a bit of an enigma
Not knowing when he enlisted, Regiment or anything regarding is army service.
Again if you could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.
Its a shame the cap badge isn't more clearer just an thought have a look in the Worcestershire reg

Hi Gott61,

I know nothing about Army regimental badges, but there are several members here that do. Br aware that 60% of WW1 other ranks records were destroyed in a fire during WW2. Confirmation of regiment would be a start. He was certainly born in 1889, but I have not found a serviceman of that name, birth year & Coventry listed in surviving records. However, he will most likely exist in the WW1 Medal Rolls, but we need a regiment & service number to separate him from all the other "Arthur Moore"s.

On the 1911 Census, he was the only child of John & Emma still living at home at Charterhouse Mill, Coventry, his occupation being a carman & his father being a miller. If you are living in or near Coventry, the 1918 Absent Voters List will give his regiment & service number. Either Warwickshire Archives or the main library in Coventry should have a copy. Other members will no doubt be able to add further information in due course.

Maurice
Many thanks Maurice, its a starting point.

Gott61,

Do you know if he survived WW!, if he married. or when or where he died?

Maurice

Believe he survived the war, but he seems to have been sent to Coventry by the family, for reasons unknown.
I've found one 2584 Arthur Moore that may be him but can't find anything concrete to link him yet.

Believe he survived the war, but he seems to have been sent to Coventry by the family, for reasons unknown.
I've found one 2584 Arthur Moore that may be him but can't find anything concrete to link him yet.
I've also found a 1911 cencus with Arthur, his mother Emma and a Nellie Calcott, if Nellie became is wife I don't know.

Gott61,

There are over 1000 Arthur Moore's on the WW1 Medal Rolls on Ancestry - you really need to check whether he appears on the Absent Voters List for Coventry.

Maurice

There is a family tree on familysearch that gives his death as 21 Mar 1918 in WWI. The only Arthur Moore listed to have died on that date was a Gunner in the Royal Horse Artillery, service number 87276. Unfortunately there are no more details.

No idea how accurate that tree is.

I think I've found him in 1939 living with a lady called Elizabeth 139 Beak Avenue Coventry
She is older with two children of a different name,
This maybe why the family had nothing to do with him,

Gott61,

I agree that this could be him on the 1939 Register, but the birth must have been registered late unless the 1939 register has the wrong birth year. No children shown though - just the two of them living at number 139.

EDIT: There's a marriage to Elizabeth Brown at Coventry in the 2 Qtr 1917 Vol 6d Page 1180,
but how does thuis fit in with his WW1 Service I wonder?

Maurice

Last edited:
Back