• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal School For The Deaf - Church Road, Edgbaston

Cant believe this; I worked here as the cook from 1973-1977.. I FB3CF2E5-8F9E-4F7A-A7C5-82DA526701D9.jpegFB3CF2E5-8F9E-4F7A-A7C5-82DA526701D9.jpegThought it was a listed building and so was still there...! Has it really been demolished...! Great memories..!

I remember using the swimming baths whilst at Edgbaston High until they built their own, so must have been between about 1962-64. They were tiled, in not very good state of repair, with "bridges" across so that the deaf pupils could lip read the teachers and there were spittoons at the side.
I'm not so sure that they were spittoons as such. The way that the pool systems works was that they had an overflow channel going all of the way around the pool where the water would go down to the filters, cleaned out and then back into the pool. It certainly was a very old fashioned design.

My dad was a pupil at the school from 1927 (when he was 8) to 1935. There are many stories about the institution, good and really horrible - my friends aunt was there at the same time as my dad and said it was cruel. Although, like many children institutionalised in that time, my dad very rarely spoke about his time there. When I encouraged him much later in his life he spoke with great affection for it and the kindness of one of the teachers - he was very successful there. When he left he went to Manchester to study. Just to clarify the institution changed its name to Royal School for the Deaf on 3rd April 1935. People wised up!!

I wonder if there are any historians out there who might be able to provide me with some information about the school and students. I am currently studying for a master's degree in local and family history and now at the point of writing my dissertation. My research topic is Poor Law and Buckinghamshire workhouses. Upon researching at the Buckinghamshire Archives, I have been working with Admission and Discharge books for the Winslow Union. I came across something of interest which is a discharge for a William Holt/Halt who has a note that he was 'sent back to the Deaf and Dumb school in Edgbaston, Birmingham.' William was born in Winslow and is on the 1901 census at the school, he had been discharged and 'sent back' in 1897 (either May or August). Would you be able to tell me a little something about the school, or any attendance details for William, why he would be so far from home and why would he be in the workhouse and not in the school - school holiday maybe? What was the curriculum at the school, what ages were the students and upon leaving would they go home or to a different establishment for the deaf? Any other information would also be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Back