• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Robins Street Robins Bull Ring Mission

Not heard of these before. Any ideas who/what they were ? Viv

View attachment 159930
Source: British Newspaper Archive
Avidly waiting for solution as I have drawn a complete blank in spite of checking some rather unusual sites. The outing was just before declaration of war and quite a few of the men are wearing their medals. Notice suggests that they were founded in 1893.

Could be postal workers as, I think, Victorian postmen wore red and were nicknamed Robins. Haven't had chance to verify though.

Seems to have been an organization set up around 1894. In 1922, 3101 “Royal Robins”, Birmingham's poorest children, had their annual outing arranged by them.

The first mention of Royal Robins that I can find is in 1905. In 1901 they were referred to as Pentland's Robins, or Pentland's Street Robins. In 1902 around Coronation Day they had written to the Queen asking for her to be patron, but she declined. So how and when did it became Royal Robins?

Back