• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Orthopaedic Hospital (cripples Hospital)...the Woodlands, Northfield

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Although there is a mention of the “Cripples Hospital, (Royal Orthopaedic Hospital) on the Thread.....Broad Street Hospital, and also in a Thread “Crippled Childrens Hospital” it is a bit disjointed and has some false info. There is a lot of history involved and it may deserve a Thread of its own.

Over on “Lichfield Lore Blog” there is an interesting question posed concerning the circular tower...

https://lichfieldlore.co.uk/2017/09/28/hospital-round/

I have added the following comment, and maybe someone can add information.

On the British listed building site The Woodlans is described as a Grade II Listed Building ... “To the left, a later unexplained circular painted brick structure with circular windows with leaded lights, dentilled brick frieze and low conical roof. Another similar circular structure at the back of the house near the former stable court, now aid out as a garden with fountain.”

In November 1907 George Cadbury presented “a fine residence, known as the Woodlands, with four acres of gardens and grounds, Northfield, to the Birmingham Crippled Children’s Union. The building will be converted into an open-air sanatorium for the treatment of tubercular and rickety children.”

It’s interesting that the Birmingham Daily Gazette says... “To no class of the unfortunate or afflicted is the sympathy more readily extended than those to whom Nature has denied the full and free use of limbs; nor is there any class which is more deserving of sympathy, for while misfortune of this kind is often aggravated by the ignorance of parents it has its ultimate origin in cases over which Nature has not yet vouchsafed mankind any effective control...”

A year later in 1908 “an architect was exercising great care in remodelling the house. The stabling being brought into requisition, and lofts being turned into open-air wards...and the possibilities of extensions being duly provided for.”

As stabling is mentioned in the listed description and in 1908, then maybe the structures were added at that date. However there was a new ward 1914, more planned 1927.

I will pose the question to the Birmingham History Forum Blog, with a reference.

Maps seem to show that the rounded bit was originally separate from the main building ans introduced between c1904 & c1916.

Woodlands c1884.jpg Woodlands c1904.jpg Woodlands c1916.jpg Woodlands c1937.jpg Woodlands c1965.jpg

My mother, Audrey Carle, was a nursing sister at the hospital in the late 1940's and/or early 1950's. She moved from London after WW2, where she had treated the first victims of the buzz bombs.

This is fascinating, because my great aunt (Ida Davis) was involved with this hospital over many years. She was an almoner there in the first half of the 20th century and had a long involvement with its work. She was quite a character and was one of the first women in Birmingham to own her own car. Shamefully, it wasn't an Austin!

Later on she took part in the Cripples Car Circle (how un-PC!) and used to take patients on leisure trips out.

Her last car was a Morris Minor 1000, reg YOB 537, and the irony of that reg. number on a very "correct" lady was not lost on her!

This is fascinating, because my great aunt (Ida Davis) was involved with this hospital over many years. She was an almoner there in the first half of the 20th century and had a long involvement with its work. She was quite a character and was one of the first women in Birmingham to own her own car. Shamefully, it wasn't an Austin!

Later on she took part in the Cripples Car Circle (how un-PC!) and used to take patients on leisure trips out.

Her last car was a Morris Minor 1000, reg YOB 537, and the irony of that reg. number on a very "correct" lady was not lost on her!

Was Ida Davis also very proficient at Golf ?

Looking in the Newspaper archives there are a couple of mentions under Midland Golf and the North Worcester Ladies monthly medals. She was a winner in 1939 on at least two occasions.

There is a very poor picture in the Smethwick Telephone, October 1931, of her marriage to William Ellerker of the Smethwick Cricket Club.

Thanks Pedrocut for your quick reply,

Your first comment comes as no surprise, because I know she loved playing golf.

Your second comment, however, makes me think WHAT!!

So far as we in her family were aware, she remained a spinster all her life, so news of her marriage (in her 40s) comes as a bombshell. Can this really be right?

Thank you once again for the information, and I really now have to consult the marriage records to see if it actually was her.

Of course there may have been another Ida. Did she live at Poplar Avenue, Edgbaston ?

Daughter of JS Davis ?

Not the right one.
Ida Davis is on the 1939 reg as a Social Visitor At Royal Cripples Hospital

We are now off topic :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1650549960962.png
    1650549960962.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Not the right one.
Ida Davis is on the 1939 reg as a Social Visitor At Royal Cripples Hospital

We are now off topic :rolleyes:
Yes, my great aunt lived in Innage Road, Northfield, (not far from Woodlands Hospital) so it's obviously another Ida.

Thanks for the confirmation and topic closed!

Not quite closed. The information I gave concerning the golf connections could also be brought into question.

Looking afresh there is a mention of MISS Ida Davis winning the North Worcs Ladies Monthly competition in 1939. So it appears that I got something right.

we are straying off topic now folks...could you please stick to the title of the thread...many thanks

the team

Why off topic, in search for info on Ida Davis. The golf connection was found and a little bit of mistaken identity.

Why off topic, in search for info on Ida Davis. The golf connection was found and a little bit of mistaken identity.
hi pedro looking back on all of the posts i can see how ida davis cropped up and as we try to allow a bit of wriggle room and ida is sorted we can leave it at that

lyn

This was on a site devoted to identifying photos. A member has claimed it is the woodlands (would be before conversion to hospital and addition of additional buildings. I am not convinced, but dont have photo of the house before it was a hospital . Certainly the porch is no longer there

suggested ortho hospiatal , woodlands.jpg

Back