• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Oak Pub Six Ways and Sandown Grove

harborneman

I wonder if anyone has pictures of this famous old pub 1910-1950 at the Six Ways end of Lozells Road or better still the little cluster of back houses accessed through a covered alley called Sandown Grove just behind.

Best,
harborneman

BIR-PUB-P8070767.jpg

I wonder if anyone has pictures of this famous old pub 1910-1950 at the Six Ways end of Lozells Road or better still the little cluster of back houses accessed through a covered alley called Sandown Grove just behind.

Best,
harborneman

My mother lived at 5 Sandown Grove when she married in 1937. I was just looking for some information.

Hello Wendy My grandmother Maude Oldfield and her son Howard and daughters Elsie and Olive lived in the first house on the left as you turned in from the alley leading down from the Lozells Road. My parents Ted and Nellie James lived next door with my 2 brothers Teddy and Gerald. They all lived there from 1940s to well into the 1960s. What was your parent’s surname?
Regards
Sylvia Owen (nee James)

Hi if you go on the Newtown, Lozells, Handsworth Site on Facebook it will give you lots of photos and information.
Sylvia Owen

Best,
harborneman
How interesting. My mum & dad were Lilly & Tom Stevens. My mums maiden name was Mchugh. My aunt Cissie had a corner shop in Aston that was my Nans.

There is a tremendous amount of information and photos here on BHF about Lozells, Handsworth and pubs. You will find the search facility useful. As many here avoid F/Book I recommend the search.

Very well put Alan, especially as many of the photos on Facebook are just copied from BHF , some still with the BHF watermark which we used to put on our photos

Back