• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Oak Day, 29th May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor me, but I think more 'English feeling' people (which will obviously include many immigrants and their descendants) should know and celebrate the day.

I never knew that either Lloyd, but as you say people should know these special days.

Don't let Astoness find out,to celebrate she will probably organise a pub crawl of every Royal Oak in the midlands,LOL.
Sorry Lyn,you know I love you really.

Hmm, a pub crawl - seems a fitting way to celebrate to me!
I'll bet many 'Royal Oak' licencees don't know of the day either - we could do our bit by visiting and telling them, and of course sampling their wares!

ok..what have i missed alberta:D well a pub crawl may have been on the cards if it was not for my daughter and son in law still being over here from the usa on that date....:rolleyes: and we if it was still open we could have started at this royal oak pub on lozells road..(now a supermarket):( at least they left the carved oak tree over the door...worth noting the date for next year though

lyn

My ideal way of celebrating would be to choose a pub with a lovely garden [weather permitting] and have dinner and a glass [or three] of wine. I couldn't keep up with the pub crawls at the van as they often start at Bridgenorth and stop off at every station till they reach Kidderminster or Bewdley. Thanks for the info Lloyd. Jean.

My birthday is May 29th and from the age of remembering i was always told i was born on Oak Apple Day, in my schooldays it was always celebrated as the day King Charles hid in the Oak Tree, i did try to eat an Oak Apple once it was not nice & i never tried again!!. Len.

No Jean, you can use crab apples in cooking and to make wine, the only thing i can think of to do with an oak apple is to pelt your worst enemy with them!!!, maybe some one knows better?. Len.

An Oak apples is formed by the larva of a type of wasp which lays its eggs on the branch. Not nice to bite into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back