• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Navy WWI

florna

knowlegable brummie
I have just discovered that my Grandfather was in the Royal Navy in WWI.
I have downloaded part of his service record to see what he did and where.
Can someone please decipher it for me! The info is attached
I would like to know a bit more about him. Amazingly my parents never mentioned that he had war service. This was quite a surprise!!
Thanks for your help
Dave

Attachments

• WWI Service Royal Navy-Optimized.jpg
    WWI Service Royal Navy-Optimized.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 35
HMS President and HMS Daedalus were both "Stone Frigates" or shore establishments.
President was located at Crystal Palace and Daedalus at Lee on Solent.
This record covers the period 4th Sept 1917 to 4th March 1918.
I have also found a C.J.B. Nicklin, pte. Royal Air Force date 1918 on FORCES WAR RECORDS but I'm unable to get further details as my subscription has run out, might be worth a try.

Colin

Last edited:
Nothing to do with accounting. Accountants in the Royal Navy come under the writers branch and would have WTR on their doc's. Clerks came under the stores accountants branch who would have "SA" on their doc'sThis is the Royal Naval Air Service. During WW1 HMS President II was the School of Elementary Naval Discipline this would be attended before going on to their parent station for trade training. HMS Daedalus (Lee on Solent) was and remained as a naval air school from 1914 to 1996 apart from a short break where it was handed over to the RAF. However, your doccument says HMS Daedalus (Sanderling) which was one of Lee on Solents satelite airfields in Poole Harbour flying mainly airships.This brings me to the letters "AC" which stood for Airship Coxwain. On April 1st 1918 the RAF was formed all naval aviation personnel in the RNAS were offered a place in the newly formed service or the option of returning to non aviation naval jobs. Most chose the RAF.

Charles' Nicklin's RAF service record is held at the National Archives. It is not online. You would be advised not to hand over money to Forces War Records as they do not have it. Here is the reference: AIR 79/2133/237113

Charles' Nicklin's RAF service record is held at the National Archives. It is not online. You would be advised not to hand over money to Forces War Records as they do not have it. Here is the reference: AIR 79/2133/237113

Chris
Someone on another forum has given me the same info and I have applied to TNA for a quote on costs of paper copies.
Many thanks for your interest.
Dave

Back