• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal George, Digbeth

loisand

master brummie
Do you have any memories of the Royal George in the 1950's, when the management team were H. Beaumont & Robert W. Burrows. Robert W. Burrows was my mum's uncle. Thanks everyone

The Royal George was on the corner of Park Street, I have a picture of it taken in 1951, then in 1964, but in all honesty it looks nothing like the 1951 picture, so I can only persume that perhaps the brewery moved premises. Bob and Gladys Burrows were the publicans and they had a parrot called Maurvita, Bob was my grandfathers brother. Thats all the info I have got.

I was looking through a book today and quote:"and Kempenfelt's ill fated Royal George on the corner of Park Street, where a notorious "blood tub" cinema once stood", seems very intrigueing :flower:

The building which is at the back of the Royal George was  originally The London Museum Music Hall with a reputation as a rough house, it was nicknamed "The Mucker"
In 1912 it was transformed into the Bull Ring Cinema and only showed silent films until it closed in the 30s
The Royal George has only recently closed and both buildings are still intact
When I can get my Digital camera back from my son :mad: I'll do you a picture or two O0

Thanks Jerry that's brilliant, I've just found out that my grandfathers father was the propieter of the Victoria Hotel, wether this was in Birmingham or Sutton area I've still to find out. Now I know why I like a drink or two, it runs in the family, even though my mom just laughed at me. What is it they say, never a true word said in jest. :flower:

As promised a photo of the Royal George and the cinema at the back
Took this today from Selfridge's balcony
Photo replaced,
royal george site.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jerry, looks like the brewery sign is still on it, and it looks like a newish building, not one that I would imagine in the 1950's. I shall have to pop into the city to get a closer look at that sign. Thanks again :flower:

I was reading in a book yesterday (needless to say I have forgotten the title of the book) that the old Royal George was once the Cock Inn?, then it was suddenly gone and renamed the Royal George, then when the old Royal George was demolished the brewery took over the present Royal george, so does anybody know anything of the Cock Inn before becoming the Royal George :flower: :cat:

A photo of the Royal George taken in 1951, it stood at 143 Digbeth

Here's another photo of the old Royal George taken in 1957.
It closed in January 1962 and was demolished. The new Royal George was built on the site and opened in July 1964

Photos replaced, probably the same as original

NEWROYALGEORGE.jpgOLDROYALGEORGE 1957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The London Museum and Concert Hall"
It opened on the 24th December 1863, proprietor George Biber.In 1890 the place changed it's name to Canterbury Tavern and Music Hall. In 1894 it again changed it's name to Pavilion Tavern and Music Hall. In 1896 it reverted back to it's original name of the London Museum and Concert Hall. In 1896 it was called Coutt's Theatre. It closed in 1900. In 1912 it opened as the Bull Ring Cinema. In 1897 the Royal George Public House was built in front of it.
:flower: :cat:

Back