• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Flying Corps Royal Air Force WW1

JKC

Deleted Upon Request
Just came across these on ebay (again), I think they are brill......Vickers Vimy

Di....they are bigger than I thought....

Dennis......the is always loads of old photo's on ebay......look under Collectables.....cusor down all the Categories till you see Photographic Images.....then click on Antique (Pre-1940)......just look through them....you will see some great photo's from the 1860's onwards.....if I see any I like or one that might be of use of this site....I just copy it....most of them are out of copyright.....its worth spending a few minutes or more just seeing what is there.....

Magnificent men in their flying machines!?!

Really enjoyed looking at these old photo's. I have a 'brick wall' ancestor - supposed to have been in RFC - died, but NO RECORDS to be found anywhere! Wish one of these chaps was 'mine'. Oh well, keep searching!!

Researching: Draper, Roberts, McCarthy, Wood.

If no one knows what you are searching for how can anyone help ?

Hi
Does anyone know of a good website (I have struggled to find one that covers all) that can decipher the abbreviations on WW1 RFC Airman record cards?
Thanks
David

Hi David,
My Grandfather was in the RFC & when i was a lot younger i remember Photographs of him when he was an observer on the airships,all photographs were lost after his death & i have not been able to find out anything more about him,if you find a website with any information please let me know as the only sites i can find only seem to have general information about the Royal Flying Corps.
Cheers
Ogri

I too would be interested in any website covering the RFC. My Dad was in the Royal Flying Corps and would like to know more about his time there. I did go to the National Archives this year to see what I could find out, but only found a couple of small pages of information covering his service. Maybe there is little more to find?

Judy

Hi David,
My Grandfather was in the RFC & when i was a lot younger i remember Photographs of him when he was an observer on the airships,all photographs were lost after his death & i have not been able to find out anything more about him,if you find a website with any information please let me know as the only sites i can find only seem to have general information about the Royal Flying Corps.
Cheers
Ogri
Hi Ogri
What was his name and area where he lived. I may be able to find a few details out
Cheers
David

Alex Tuck RFC 1916.jpg

Here's a photo of my Dad, Alexander Tuck. He joined the Royal Flying Corps, and in 1916 (when he was 19) took exams at Winchester College for a commission in the RFCV, and he joined the Officer Cadet Unit in South Farnborough on 16 May 1917. In September of that year after passing his exams he was appointed a temporary commission of 2nd Lieutenant, however, by 1918 he had an air crash at Waddington, Lincs. He was hospitalised although he had no serious injuries and was treated mainly for shock. He was sent home for six months' sick leave. After this he left the Flying Corps and joined the Government Unit called The National War Aims Committee touring England recruiting for the Forces by showing films on large screens erected in each town he visited. Before going on tour they were in London where a screen was erected at the base of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, where Alex showed films to thousands of people. If anyone could tell me where I could find more information about his time in the RFC I should be so grateful.

Judy

Judy
Are the records you refer to those shown on Find My Past (sourced from National Archives). If not I can quote to you. Basic information for Alexander Noel.
David

This is a useful explanation about RFC records and what's available. Many records were destroyed during WW2 (but note even though, for example, pension records might have been destroyed, you may still be able to find some info about these).

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/royal-flying-corps--airmen-service-records--military/245/

I also used 'Flight' magazine for some of my research, there are lots of editions which are searchable online.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

The IWM Lives of the First World War site has some RFC records. You can search by name, best to start with first initial and surname. Then you can filter the search. If you're lucky to find the person, you will be shown his medal card, then you can search other records from this point. (You'll need to set up an account first to use the site).

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/dashboard

And if he gained medals you might find a citation for him in the London Gazette. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I too am looking for a guide to deciphering records, particularly medical records if anyone comes across anything. Thanks. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the offer David, and yes, Alexander Noel Tuck was my Dad, but the information on FMP is the same as that which I got from the National Archives at Kew. I did actually get 4 pages of information but it was very scant with many abbreviations, when I was hoping to get similar to the to the army records that are available. I was just hoping to find out more information of his time in the Royal Flying Corps.

Judy

Thanks for the information Viv and Jennyann. I will have a look at those links later (when I've finished painting the lounge!!)

Judy

Hi David,
His name was Reginald Eric Smith,i only have his address in 1928 as 59 Allens road,Soho,it looks as if he was adopted so the name Lucas may come up but he always used Smith.

Off to check out some of the links that have been suggested.
Many thanks
Ogri

Dear All
Thanks for the info I will have a look around this weekend and post results.
Thanks
David

Does anyone have any free access to look up military service record please of my grandad, his name was Charles Henry Field and his service no was 261954 Andy he served in ww1 , id be really grateful , thanks .

You can see them on findmypast which is free at the moment. You have to register but it costs nothing.

I can post them here but I'd have to reduce the size and it might affect their legibility.

...but there are also 5 for the army

Charles Field 3.jpg Charles Field 4.jpg Charles Field 5.jpg Charles Field 6.jpg Charles Field 7.jpg

possibly a couple of duplicates but that's how they were. He seems to have grown 3 inches between his first and second attestations.

Hiiiiii i dont get why there are RFC records and army records ?? how does that all piece together in ww1 for him ?

I think as the RFC and then the RAF expanded soldiers transferred over from the army. Also the RFC was part of the army until the RAF was formed in 1918.

My grandfather's cousin was in the army and then the RAF, and died in a training flight crash in 1918.

My grandad was in the Royal Flying Corps during WW1, he was an engineer and based in Hendon.
I understand that the RAF was not formed until after WW1 and the RFC were originally part of the Army.

Back