• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Engineers TA Signals

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Can anyone give me information about this photo please? The sixteen year old lad leaning on the tent on the left is my dad Alf Ingram. For instance what is the caption short for?
Part of it could be, for instance
Southern Company (Command) Signals:?: Royal Engineers (TerritorialsL. 1913
But I am partly guesseing.
Does anyone recognize their dad or grandad perhaps?
Any information you could add would be very helpful
teritorialz.jpg

This from Wikipedia;

In 1870, 'C' Telegraph Troop, Royal Engineers, was founded under Captain Montague Lambert. The Troop was the first formal professional body of signallers in the British Army and its duty was to provide communications for a field army by means of visual signalling, mounted orderlies and telegraph. By 1871, 'C' Troop had expanded in size from 2 officers and 133 other ranks to 5 officers and 245 other ranks. In 1879, 'C' Troop first saw action during the Anglo-Zulu War. On 1 May 1884, 'C' Troop was amalgamated with the 22nd and 34th Companies, Royal Engineers, to form the Telegraph Battalion Royal Engineers; 'C' Troop formed the 1st Division (Field Force, based at Aldershot) while the two Royal Engineers companies formed the 2nd Division (Postal and Telegraph, based in London). Signalling was the responsibility of the Telegraph Battalion until 1908, when the Royal Engineers Signal Service was formed. As such it provided communications during World War I. It was about this time that motorcycle despatch riders and wireless sets were introduced into service

My father joined the newly formed Royal Corps of Signals in 1924 at Catterick Camp in North Yorkshire.

Barrie.

Do you have his army records and medal details? They are on Ancestry, if you don't have access to them, let me know and I will get them for you.

Barrie

Yes I have the army records Barrie. Did you get Wheeler Street from Ancestry? As you probably know half of the WW1 records were burnt in WW2. I have copies of some of dad's but they are slightly charred and so incomplete. Being in the RE doesn't make it easy to build up a picture of his experience in the war as they were all over the place. However, you are confirming that I am looking in the right direction; I have only recently got the signals clue. Here is dad a little later which reinforces this.
Dadbike4-Edit.jpg

On the 1918 Absent Voters List he is shown at No 169 Wheeler Street. He is shown as 74110 Pnr (Pioneer) 1st Signal Company. Royal Engineers.

Many thanks Barrie I have the rest but it was the number of the company that I couldn't locate. I also know that he served with Captain Herman Charles Hannam-Clark as his batman

S.C. did stand for 'Southern Command' and their HQ was Great Brook Street Barracks.

The Barracks have long gone. The large tract of land where the barracks stood encompassed by Great Brook Street, Windsor Street, Vauxhall Road and Barrack Street, is now occupied by the Ashcroft Estate that was built in the 1930’s.

Terry

Micheal
Very interesting post. My grandfarther was in the same signers company and joined 1913 as well and was discharged in 1919 because of sickness and died of TB in 1927 my grandmother also died a few years later. I have documented what I know about him on lives of the First World War IWM website his name is Sapper Samuel Arthur marklew
British Army, Royal Engineers,
Service #502082
Kind regards
James

Can anyone give me information about this photo please? The sixteen year old lad leaning on the tent on the left is my dad Alf Ingram. For instance what is the caption short for?
View attachment 76503

I think this is my Uncle, I have a later picture of him, i'm sure its the same guy. Do you know any other names of brothers/sisters he had, I believe my mom is his sister, Hilda. Unfortunately when I was growing up we did not have any contact with moms side of the family, but I know my uncle served in Burma, and he was in the travelling fair.

He had a sister-in-law Hilda married to his brother Samuel. A sister Rene, a sister Lily, brothers Arthur, Samuel, and Stanley, mother Elizabeth and father Samuel. My dad and his brothers all served in WW1

View attachment 76503

Marklew is a name you don't come across very often.
In Alsager, Cheshire, there is a headstone for a Marklew, Connaught Rangers, died 1918.

View attachment 76503
View attachment 76503
View attachment 76503
Hi I've a similar photo for my grandfather who was in the TA signals company from Birmingham and id say this is possibly at the same camp he went on to serve through the first world war. please feel free to contact me for further information and see attached photo which is poor resolution but i will get the original photo from my mum and copy it correctly. also see my comments in this post regarding my Grandfather.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5777.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5777.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 19
Hi
very sorry for the late response; my granddad is 3rd in from your right and only had 4 sisters.
James

Back