• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roy Rogers And Trigger In Birmingham

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...just found an old brummagem mag whilst having a clear out and came accross these pics....apologies if they have been posted before...

roy rogers and trigger when trigger was stabled at m and b brewery cape hill...the date is thought to be around 1953..
)
lyn

Attachments

• Handsworth Cape Hill M & B Stables Trigger 1954.jpg
    Handsworth Cape Hill M & B Stables Trigger 1954.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Year is 1954 I found a link to their visit to B'ham.

ROY Rogers was the star - but Trigger, his horse, always got all the attention.
And when Rogers, who has died at the age of 86, booked into a Birmingham hotel, Trigger stole the limelight and signed the hotel register!
It happened in 1954 when Rogers, King of the Cowboys, was appearing at the Birmingham Hippodrome.
He was the top international star of the day but when a vast crowd of 5,000 besieged the old Queen's Hotel history was made when Trigger, holding a pen between his teeth, signed the register.
Crush barriers and extra railway and …

Hi Lyn

I don't think that is Roy in the photo with Trigger, its probably his own stablehand. Here is a photo of Roy & Trigger whilst appearing at the Hippodrome. In this publicity shot Trigger is being led upstairs to Roy's room in the hotel. If I remember correctly there were other photos taken at the same time with Trigger lying in Roy's bed. I also remember seeing them both at the Hippodrome.

Phil

Last edited:
You can find more Roy Rogers on Birmingham Cinemas thread:)

Oh my hero !! In my mind I knew I`d seen Roy Rogers and Trigger at the Hippodrome. My Mom, Nan and myself were sat in the aisle seats. If I remember correctly Trigger and Roy Rogers walked up the aisle past us and I was so excited !!! I was only about 6 years old so your time of 1954 would be spot on. We used to sing "ROY ROGERS IS A STAR " and then shout out " S .T . A . R "as loud as we could. I`m grinning from ear to ear with the memory. This and the Coronation are my earliest memories so thank you for confirming it.

Hi guys
Yes I know its an old hat of a thread but I have just been back tracking through the old threads when I came across my old boys hero
Roy rogers he too was my boy hero and of course trigger I went to every picture house around Aston when they and where ever they sh owned him
On the pictures whether it be a Sat Matinee or evening show I was there on one occasion at the Victoria on the sat matinee and came straight out and as kids you men folk would remember being an upper how we pretended to ride a horse by slapping your side and running
Well I did that one sat afternoon and galloped down to the aldelphy on Aston cross where my aunty Maud worked in the pay box
So I walked in and she called her friend the usherette and put me u deer her coat and took me in yes it was Roy rogers and when I came out at the end the boyish mood took over trotting along the rd afew paces whilst doing it slapping my side as the cow boys slap the side of the horse to go faster
I pretended to talk to trigger saying whoa trigger at the kerb then when I seen the red clear the busy Aston red north I said come on trigger but we met with a baby Austin car and on the bonnet I went right up in the air and travelled along in the air and ended up yards from the picture house
And landed out side the pawn shop and I ended up at the general hospital and in the men's ward and by coincidence it was my grand fathers bed whom vacated it on the Monday of that week I was in there for months and on the day of the accident I was in there for 3 months and I was operated on all night
With a blood transfusion as well to save me I came out of the thwarted but had to be rushed back in because I was dying again
My bone had been completely smashed to bits and they had to bridge my bone for life as there was no think of the bone left
And also may I add it was a hit and run victim they found him about six weeks later there was no legal aid in them days they said
But I am a hardened fan of Roy and trigger. I have a lot of his boys books on them and vidioos and I have a large signed photograph of Roy sitting on trigger in a field its a colour one as well in a nice frame on our bed room wall I looked at a previous picture of them in the bedroom picture some one put its clear its a mock picture
And a pretend horse and not Roy I just felt I had to put it on the forum this was in 1954 and was reported in the Birmingham papers and the Sunday mercury as well. But what got me when I was that little kid getting knocked down on the cross I recall in the summer months that whilst I was crutches and in plaster
Whilst mom and the neibours was just sitting in the smoke room with the neibour s one old lady came out and stepping over me and a couple of kids
All waiting for our parents she blarted out are you that little kid whom got k locked down the other week I looked up and said
Hmm she said what are you doing now then begging I called my mom and she came out and said which one son I pointed her out she told the old man he shouted at her this was the widows arms on Lichfield red at the bottom of our terrace astonian

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited the back to backs in Hurst street a few years ago together with my uncle and aunt who, I hasten to add, are only about 5 years older than me! During the tour in one house was a bedroom with cowboy wallpaper. The guide said it was inspired by the appearance of Roy Rogers in Birmingham. Imagine my surprise when my Aunt said that she was at one of the performances and still had the programme at home. She now lives in Tewkesbury and I will contact her to see if she still has the programme and if a copy can be supplied, I certainly hope so. Watch this space:confused:

Roy Rogers rode Trigger down Corporation Street for an event at WH Smith in 1954
Would it have been the actual Trigger. Would have thought it would have been easier to use a lookalike horse. Cant see them transporting livestock all the way from the USA, a long return journey by boat, very stressful and not sure they had an aircraft suitable in 1954.

Back