• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Roy Orbison

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Any Roy Orbison fans?
Rated by many inc.Elvis, the Beatles,Johnny Cash & many others as the greatest singer of modern times. I remember he was doing a show at the cinema in Dudley some time in the 60's but it was sold out & I couldn't get a ticket.
Sadly Roy is no longer with us but his songs will go on forever, when I mention to anyone I am a fan of Roy's they usually say oh yes 'pretty woman'
& yet Roy had a massive catalogue of songs both composed & written by himself & Pretty woman rates low amongst fans.
When singing ballads Roys soaring voice can bring a tear to your eyes as some songs reflect Roys own tragic life. Take 'Walk on' seen here in a studio recording where Roy effortlessly sings the song as usual in one take.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGd8afXep0"]YouTube - Roy Orbison - Walk ON - (in Colour)[/ame]

Just before his untimely death in 1988 aged just 52 Roy had begun working with george Harrison, Geoff lynn from ELO , Bob dylan & tom petty & they called themselves the travelling Wilbury's. All four - themselves musicans of great note couldn't believe they actually had Roy in their band so highly was he regarded.
Roys voice can be heard on many of the tracks of their first album but a solo by Roy stands out like a beacon - Not alone anymore
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqlhD1rbs7E"]YouTube - "Not Alone Any More" by The Traveling Wilburys[/ame]

Roy made one film 'The fastest guitar alive' a comedy western which featured Roy( minus the glasses) singing a number of quite nice ballads , probably only Orbison fans would appreciate the film as it's a bit lame in parts. It's never been shown on TV & the video is hard to get in the UK but I managed to get a DVD version at last altho I couldn't view it on my telly as my ancient DVD player isn't multi region but borrowed my daughters & I must say it was quite enjoyable altho I'm biased of course:D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrfDfrj6vE"]YouTube - Roy Orbison - River from Fastest Guitar Alive[/ame]

hi, yes i would say i am a roy orbison fan, i love his voice i love his songs, he can bring tears to my eyes and he can also bring a smile to my face, depending what song he is singing at the time. thank you for putting the songs on here,:)

I think I have nearly every track the the big "O" ever laid down, from his beginnings at Sun records and up to and including his time with the Traveling Willbury's.

I saw Roy Orbison twice at the Odeon in New St, and I also saw him twice at the Night Out Bristol St. I have to say I preferred the Odeon performances because you didn't have the distraction of people eating and drinking around you.

All of the performances he gave, were absolutely fantastic. There was no difference between his live performances and a recorded one, and I have to tell you that in my time I have seen some top rated performers that were rubbish live.

Phil

He was a truly Great Performer, I had seen him twice on stage at the " Embassy " in Peterborough. I must have most of his records.
Such a terrible sad life for him.

Have to agree with you all, I thought he was brilliant. One of my favourite songs of his, is Shadaroba, which I believe was the 'b' side to one of his hits. I could listen to it all day long.

Hanco

One of the best without a doubt. The Public TV channel in the US often
puts on some of his shows and I have watched them over and over. They are usually about two hours in length and are filmed in black and white even though they were recorded in the l980's. He was gone too early and so many people miss him.

Anyone remember a song by Roy called 'so young' ? never came across that record altho I have quite a pile of 45's & LP's, if anyone has & can put it on youtube it would be appreciated

Izzy, I'm rather a fan of one-off movies, hence through my movie memorabilia notes have tracked down an American version of the film poster:-
https://www.moviegoods.com/movie_poster/fastest_guitar_alive_the_1967

If you go further on with that page you can enlarge the poster and there are several still pictures from the film also.

In the UK, the film wasn't publicised especially well; from my hand-written accounts of the time (1968) appearing not to have had a London West End showing at all becoming the second half of a double-bill with one of the Man from Uncle sequels "Helicopter Spies". Its provincial release started on February 25, 1968 showing at either the ABC Forum New Street or ABC Coleshill Street sometime after that date.

British versions of the poster, similar but less decorative, are hard to discover for that reason. If i can find one within the next few weeks, would you like me to post up a feature from one of the rare UK movie magazines of the day?:)

Hi Ritchie, that's the exact same picture on my DVD of the film, if you find anything interesting about Roy then by all means post it up

( did you look at the UK poster link I added ?)

Vic

The very last video clip of big "O", recorded here in Antwerp, Belgium, before he passed away.

Sonny have removed this clip because of copyright.

Last edited:
... big "O"'s, "You Got It" was produced by a famous Brummie!

Last edited:
Obviously Roy's major asset was his vocal range, yet the vast majority of the numbers he recorded didn't do it justice. My own favourite of his was 'Running Scared'.

Big G

Just spotted that Roy Orbison is featured on Friday 12th Dec in BBC4 'Legends' series, a one hour documentary on Roy & his life.
Should eventually make it's way onto BBC2 if you haven't got digital TV

He could play the guitar, he sang like an angel and he even knew what motor bike to go for.

Phil

Attachments

• The Big O 1966.jpg
    The Big O 1966.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2
A true legend and a voice you will never forget for as long as you live
there was a song he wrote about his wife when she got killed on her motor bike she was his breath and soul of his life and i think that was the down fall for him a broken man , and a broken heart after her death
i thought he deteritated right up until he died a true legend in is own right just like elvis there is no inpersonater on the planted whom
can sig like the king nor big o, roy i still play alot of his music
and should they play any think on the radio i turn it up full volume
and i don,t care about my miserable neibours
best wishes everybody play and enjoy your music what ever your taste
astonian ;;;;

I have always enjoyed Roy's music right up to when he sang with our own Jeff Lynn and the others in the Travelling Wilberies (not sure of spelling). I must look out my LP!:)

It's nice to see you back and recovered Astonian.

Astonian, his wife's name was Claudette, she died from an accident while they were out together on motorbikes. Two years later two of his sons died in a house fire while he was touring.

You'll have to click on the blue band here.

Graham.
[ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTT-lNKBXw"]YouTube - Roy Orbison- Claudette[/ame]​

Last edited:
HI Wendy And Caudeute
Many Thanks Wendy For Your Kind Regards And Our Friend Caudutte
For Reminding Me Of Roys Wife Name Claudette I Should Have Remembered That I Must Have Worn The Grooves Out On The Lp
I PlayedIt Over And Over Again Fantastic , Wendy Hve You Done All Your Christmas Shopping Yet , I Don,nt Know What To Get My Old Dutchess. She Not Very Welll
At The Moment I,M Feeling Abit Better In My self But She His Still Sufferig She
Was In The Back Of The Car And Took Most Of The Brunt ,It Was Most Of Her Clothes And Things That I Think Saved Her The Cases Was All Mashed Up
Ah Well At Least We Are HereFor The Grand Kids Christmas , They,ll Boost Her Up When They Come . Many Thanks Again Wendy , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Roy Orbison.....such a great singer and person. Last night the "Black & White"
Concert was broadcast on the Detroit Public TV Channel. It's a great show broadcast in black and white which gives the concert a retro feel.
It is simply marvellous. https://www.dvdmg.com/orbison.shtml There are highlights on Youtube as well.

Back