• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rowlands bakery ownership

We have no clue who the lad in the photo is , our dad then worked for Allied Bakery West Bromwich until he retired in 1985.
Well it's still a great photograph, your dad with his satchel over his shoulder.
Remember most all the door to door delivery people had one.
How about the word " satchel " that should take some of us back to school

I saw mention of Rowlands Bakery some time ago.My grandfather was Philip Rowlands, he owned the bakery and lived at a house called Leaholme on Short Heath Road. He had 13 children, one was my mum and one my aunt who is the sole survivor aged 99. She is still bright and active, lives in her own house without social services help and is looking forward to her hundredth birthday. She was offered a helicopter ride to mark the occasion but turned it down after some thought- her friend said because it would mess up her hair!
I think the bakery was eventually sold to Allied bakeries- none of the family wanted to take it on.

There was a comedy programme (or maybe a film) which featured a horse. The horse was commandeered to haul something, possibly a gun, but kept stopping as the journey apparently was on he milk round. :laughing: It could have been a Dad's Army programme.
it was Alan. the museum pieces

Regarding Rowlands Bakery/ Lea Holme (mentioned 26/12/2019 & elsewhere) - Philip Rowlands was my Grandfather as well, so that makes 3 of us on this site. All his 13 children who grew to be adults are now dead, and I know there must be cousins I haven't met! But I'm 80 in March so time is running out,,,,,,,,,,so please get in touch - I live near Ringwood, Hants.

Hi I am new to this forum and think that Sunshine is speaking about my great grandfather Philip Rowlands who lived in Leaholme and owned Rowlands bakery. My father Paul Rowlands is the son of Stan Rowlands who was one of the thirteen children you mention. I have some photos of Philip Rowlands and Leaholme and the thirteen children. I think that makes you Sunshine my dad's cousin?
My grandmother was Philip Rowlands 7th child. She was born in March 1901 . Doris married Claude Thomas after the Great war. She settled in Wollaton and had 4 daughters. My mother Margaret was the youngest. I was very close to Granny Doris. She told be many family stories. I have heard about Edith and Basil.Also I met Dorothy.

I saw mention of Rowlands Bakery some time ago.My grandfather was Philip Rowlands, he owned the bakery and lived at a house called Leaholme on Short Heath Road. He had 13 children, one was my mum and one my aunt who is the sole survivor aged 99. She is still bright and active, lives in her own house without social services help and is looking forward to her hundredth birthday. She was offered a helicopter ride to mark the occasion but turned it down after some thought- her friend said because it would mess up her hair!
I think the bakery was eventually sold to Allied bakeries- none of the family wanted to take it on.
My maternal grandmother was Doris . She was the 7th of Philip Rowlands children. She was born in March 1901 . She married Claude Thomas and had 4 daughters. My mother Margaret was the youngest. She lived in Wollaton for most of her life.
I was close to Doris and she told me many family stories. She always spoke about her youngest brother Basil with great affection.

My maternal grandmother was Doris . She was the 7th of Philip Rowlands children. She was born in March 1901 . She married Claude Thomas and had 4 daughters. My mother Margaret was the youngest. She lived in Wollaton for most of her life.
I was close to Doris and she told me many family stories. She always spoke about her youngest brother Basil with great affection.

Hi Stella,
Philip Rowlands is my Great grandfather too. My Mum was the daughter of Doris one of his children. I have a photo with him and all the children. I would love to see some more pictures though
Hi I am new to this forum and think that Sunshine is speaking about my great grandfather Philip Rowlands who lived in Leaholme and owned Rowlands bakery. My father Paul Rowlands is the son of Stan Rowlands who was one of the thirteen children you mention. I have some photos of Philip Rowlands and Leaholme and the thirteen children. I think that makes you Sunshine my dad's cousin?
Hello Stella Rowlands and Luby61 - Philip was my grandfather, and my mother was Phyllis, his 10th child, born in 1906. My name is Malcolm Day, now 83, and I would be very interested to see a photo of Philip, who I don't remember ever meeting, or my grandmother Alice, and a photo of Leaholme. Stanley would have been my uncle and Paul your father my cousin - I never met them either, or most of my aunts & uncles and cousins, which is a shame. Sorry it's taken me so long to become aware of your post. My e-mail is [email protected] and it would be great to hear from you if you have time - "wr1959" Helen L has already been in touch.

Hi Malcolm,
I have a photo of Alice and Philip with the children and various staff taken on their wedding anniversary.
I will send you a copy of the photo via your email.
I saw a photo of Lea Holme many years ago but think my Mum borrowed it from my Auntie Vivian. My cousin Peter may have it now but I will contact him about getting a copy for you

Back