• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rover Sd1

I'm a bit late in this thread but I worked at the Land Rover lode lane from the early 70s until the early 80s.
The SD1 factory was built on the site of the old test track that was adjacent to Elmdon park, that test track was a great place to let the Stirling Moss in you free no speed limit there .
I watched the trees come down and bulldozers move in to prepare the site.
The SD1 factory was a massive single span building , on nightshift we would cycle up and down the quarter mile length on old fashioned delivery bikes with a basket carrier on the front .
The paint shop next door was a marvel to walk around all those stairs and the heat on the top floor from the high bake paint ovens was high the normal sprinklers heads used to operate regulary .
The only time I drove any SD1 cars was to move them away from blocking escape routes or fire hydrants etc , I preferred the older P8 to drive.
Said enough for now , my experience at the Land Rover was very interesting and I don't think working in this day and age will ever be as interesting or memorable for the present work force.
There's a book in me somewhere just got to assemble it before all the memories dissolve into time and are forgotten.
Hi Rover folk, I also worked at The Rover, Solihull - 1974 to 1978 when I moved to Japan for a while. After serving an apprenticeship at P J Evans in Birmingham. My reason for moving to a factory was for better money to save to buy a motor bike - my dream in those days was a Kawasaki 900 Z1 which I bought while there. I began by working on the track (P6) I worked for about 9 months on 2 week shifts. From putting two wheels on each vehicle every 6 minutes to working on the hoist dropping in complete engines every 6 minutes - two guys underneath the car securing the engines - what a team!. I recognise the description of life on the track described earlier in the posts!! I then applied and got a job in the transport section working on the transport vehicles - diesel lorries ect, that would move the cars/parts around the country etc. I loved my experiences (many) in that garage - but never intended to stay. Small section of guys that stayed for life (they felt great job and well paid). One guy saying as I arrived 'you will never leave here until they take you out in a box', lol.

Last edited:
Hi Rover folk, I also worked at The Rover, Solihull - 1974 to 1978 when I moved to Japan for a while. After serving an apprenticeship at P J Evans in Birmingham. My reason for moving to a factory was for better money to save to buy a motor bike - my dream in those days was a Kawasaki 900 Z1 which I bought while there. I began by working on the track (P6) I worked for about 9 months on 2 week shifts. From putting two wheels on each vehicle every 6 minutes to working on the hoist dropping in complete engines every 6 minutes - two guys underneath the car securing the engines - what a team!. I recognise the description of life on the track described earlier in the posts!! I then applied and got a job in the transport section working on the transport vehicles - diesel lorries ect, that would move the cars/parts around the country etc. I loved my experiences (many) in that garage - but never intended to stay. Small section of guys that stayed for life (they felt great job and well paid). One guy saying as I arrived 'you will never leave here until they take you out in a box', lol.
Hi Peter. Trying to find Chris Baker, test driver at Rover in your time there. He lived in Keresley, Coventry and also went to Japan. Did you know him?

Hi Peter. Trying to find Chris Baker, test driver at Rover in your time there. He lived in Keresley, Coventry and also went to Japan. Did you know him?
Hi Rhiannon, sorry cannot help with Chris Baker. I recall Steve Burton from the P6 track - we went to Sweden together on my Kawasaki 900, and Dave Panton from the lorry garage. Hope you manage to connect with Chris.

In 1940 1940 my Dad always had a Rover, not sure what model, Black 4door of course. Had something to release using the clutch to change gears? I seem toremember

In 1940 1940 my Dad always had a Rover, not sure what model, Black 4door of course. Had something to release using the clutch to change gears? I seem toremember

Some Rovers had a 'freewheel', which allowed thm to coast with the engine only ticking over, useful on long slightly downhill roads. It was worked by a small wheel just under the dashboard. Here's one, removed from the car.

Rover freewheel.jpg

Some Rovers had a 'freewheel', which allowed thm to coast with the engine only ticking over, useful on long slightly downhill roads. It was worked by a small wheel just under the dashboard. Here's one, removed from the car.

View attachment 151731
That's what it was thanks for the info so what years were those for and what model?

I used to have a lift of a chap with a Rover, I think it was a Rover 90/100? What had this freewheel system on it. He said it was to save fuel. I also heard the engine was an overhead side valve.

Can’t say I enjoyed grinding in the valves on a side valve as
overhead were much easier including setting the valve clearance.
Ha, yes Nick, I recall the valve grinding, the grinding paste and grinding stick wearing into my hands - I seem to remember it became easier when electric tool became available. Or am I making the electric tool up!!

Remember 'Chemico' grinding past, coarse and fine in one tin.
I think it used to be made in Shirley.
I still have a tin in the garage for when my motorcycles need attention.
I remember a 'Sykes-Pickavant' machine that cut the valve seats, the valves and lapped the valves in.

Ha, yes Nick, I recall the valve grinding, the grinding paste and grinding stick wearing into my hands - I seem to remember it became easier when electric tool became available. Or am I making the electric tool up!!
If you were really lazy you could use a drill with the stem of the valve clamped in the chuck only thing was you needed to keep changing the paste. Our Foreman used to check our work when overhauling Gardner engines by pouring Kerosene in the ports, any leaks from the valves and you started again.

Back