• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rover Sd1

davesd1

master brummie
The Rover SD1 club has held a weekend at the Chateau Impney to celebrate 40yrs since the launch of the car.
Did anyone on here work at Solihull at the time,or perhaps have a relative who did during this period.

Now I didn't work at Rover, but I used to be, in a past life, what some would call " a hairy a***d trucker ". I delivered, several times a week, parts for the production line, from around the region, and steel for the pressed bodies. I have also owned several SD1 models. The first was a 2 Litre, metallic blue in colour, and fitted with the same engine that powered the Leyland Van. Plenty of room for the family, a nice drive, and very reliable. The second was a 2.3 Litre Auto, Metallic Silver, sun roof, and prone to engine oil leaks, but again, a nice comfortable car to drive after a hard week on the road. The third, my real pride and joy, was a light Blue metallic, 3.5 litre, Buick powered Automatic. All electric, real leather seats, and a fairly basic engine management system. I purchased this because, strange to relate, it was cheaper than the older restored model 3.5 I always craved. ( My Boss had one, two tone bodywork, and one of the best cars I had ever driven, including two Jaguars.) I only changed the car when the price of petrol went through the roof, for it never ever, despite numerous tinkering, reached the factories quoted figure on fuel consumption. I don't drive now, but if I ever change my mind, the car of choice would probably still be the same model Rover.

My late brother used to work on the sd1, he used to do the pin striping . !

I know a good many staff came across to Land Rover after the Sd1 plant was closed down.

Not sure about hourly paid though.

Bought one secondhand early eighties, what a lemon I must have had rose tinted glasses when I looked round it, even blew the head gasket on the M5 going down to South Devon on holiday and had to be AA relayed back home to Durham.

Bought my first one,also early eighties.The auto gearbox went four months later.
Lets be honest,reliability and build quality were never used in the same sentence regarding the SD1.
I currently own an '86 2600 VDP,the attention it gets is amazing and if I had a pound for eveytime I heard "my dad had one of them" i'd be a rich man.
One I currently up for sale,a Vitesse,mint condition £17995,i think he'll get it.

I'm a bit late in this thread but I worked at the Land Rover lode lane from the early 70s until the early 80s.
The SD1 factory was built on the site of the old test track that was adjacent to Elmdon park, that test track was a great place to let the Stirling Moss in you free no speed limit there .
I watched the trees come down and bulldozers move in to prepare the site.
The SD1 factory was a massive single span building , on nightshift we would cycle up and down the quarter mile length on old fashioned delivery bikes with a basket carrier on the front .
The paint shop next door was a marvel to walk around all those stairs and the heat on the top floor from the high bake paint ovens was high the normal sprinklers heads used to operate regulary .
The only time I drove any SD1 cars was to move them away from blocking escape routes or fire hydrants etc , I preferred the older P8 to drive.
Said enough for now , my experience at the Land Rover was very interesting and I don't think working in this day and age will ever be as interesting or memorable for the present work force.
There's a book in me somewhere just got to assemble it before all the memories dissolve into time and are forgotten.

I'm a bit late in this thread but I worked at the Land Rover lode lane from the early 70s until the early 80s.
The SD1 factory was built on the site of the old test track that was adjacent to Elmdon park, that test track was a great place to let the Stirling Moss in you free no speed limit there .
I watched the trees come down and bulldozers move in to prepare the site.
The SD1 factory was a massive single span building , on nightshift we would cycle up and down the quarter mile length on old fashioned delivery bikes with a basket carrier on the front .
The paint shop next door was a marvel to walk around all those stairs and the heat on the top floor from the high bake paint ovens was high the normal sprinklers heads used to operate regulary .
The only time I drove any SD1 cars was to move them away from blocking escape routes or fire hydrants etc , I preferred the older P8 to drive.
Said enough for now , my experience at the Land Rover was very interesting and I don't think working in this day and age will ever be as interesting or memorable for the present work force.
There's a book in me somewhere just got to assemble it before all the memories dissolve into time and are forgotten.
Start the book now. Always interesting to read of people's work lives.

Put me down for a copy.Looks like someone has done one from Longbridge.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Living-in-a-Plant-by-David-Caffrey/164213392732?hash=item263be1855c:g:u84AAOSwikdexwP1

I will have to and the sooner the better.
All the tales I can relate from seeing bunk beds , cookers ,TVs and fish tanks all located under the raised section of the tracks in P6 north works ,Land Rover south works and SD1 works.
Land rovers on the north works holding parks with trees growing up through the floor and pushing out the canvas tilts because they were there for a few years because of (nobody knows).
About 12 years of memories to relate most good some a bit grim Really grim!.

The SD1 had Denovo run flat tyres fitted, and a bump switch that isolated the fuel pump if involved in an accident, this caused a lot of problems for drivers not aware of it if they had a small bump and had to get assistance to rectify it .

The SD1 had Denovo run flat tyres fitted, and a bump switch that isolated the fuel pump if involved in an accident, this caused a lot of problems for drivers not aware of it if they had a small bump and had to get assistance to rectify it .
I worked in the Land Rover experimental for a short time doing engine endurance testing, like a 2000 rally engine with twin SU's that had to do 100 hours at 6,000 rpm. They were trying to develop a 5 cylinder version of the 2000 engine, but it never got anywhere, like the batch of 2000 drophead coupes which were scrapped off.
The SD1 was a bit light on the back end, particularly in icy weather.
PA739

A book came out a few years ago by Karen Pinder if i remember correctly,got a copy somewhere,that was about the history of the SD1.
What we want now,is a first hand experience of the blokes who built them.Opinions from them on why they had the problems they did,i'm sure it would be popular,especially with people who own them still.Go for it.

Keep them coming gents,great to hear the gritty end of the cars history.PA739,i know what you mean about the rear end.The SD1 club is currently in negotiation regarding Nivomats being re-manufactured.

Back