• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Round Hill Aston

mossg

master brummie
I wonder if anyone can help me?
The 1851 census shows some of my ancesters living in Round Hill.Aston.
Does anyone know where this was please?

Maurice

Round hill is or was the area around the Retreat thats off Wilkinson street so if you used Claredon street Park lane Sutton street and Phillip street as the circumference lines it would be roughly in the middle

Thank you John & Alf,
So it was the name of an area rather than a street name.
Regards Maurice.

My quest for more knowledge regarding the Manor House in Sutton Street has opened up a can of worms. I was struggling to find Sutton Street on earlier censuses and generally these do not show house numbers. I had a breakthrough when I realised that Round hill(s) was located in this area. After 3 days of gathering data, house numbers, family names etc. I may finally be getting somewhere.
Round hill is poorly recorded but contained the following:
Stratford House, Park Crescent (incl. Belgrave Place),
Bibbs, Adams and Mews Buildings,
Cottages: Laburnam, Lee, Woodbine, Grove, Vine, Rose and Jessamine (Jasmine?),
Holly Villa and The Willows.

Some have these names have survived to appear on later censuses, in some cases with the house number. When (and if) I can get to grip with the house numbers in Sutton Street I will post what I find on the Sutton Street thread. Incidentally the house numbers changed twice in the Manor House area, it appears half of the gardens were sold to build 6 houses which meant renumbering the even number houses. This re-occurred later when the rest of the Manor House had houses built there.

There was also a Britannia Place, Round Hill, Aston reported in newspapers in the late 1880s. At this time it was given as Round Hill, Aston Road. Viv.

Back