• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rotunda

When I was a kid growing up in Solihull, I could see the Rotunda & Post Office Tower in the distance from my bedroom window. I bet there are several other buildings the present occupant of that room can see these days.

This is the unzoomed in skyline from Tyseley Station, taken a few days ago. Rotunda and BT Tower to the right of the antenna.

No mistaking the period of this B&W photo. It’s 1965 as Birmingham was undergoing massive redevelopment. The top floor of the 22 storey Rotunda had been let but very little lower down. This photo illustrates how dominant and striking the Rotunda had become as a landmark. Two shoppers were descending into the depths of one of the many subways created in Birmingham around the same period. Viv.

A844C98A-C418-4B01-8830-F3685C71CB85.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
No mistaking the period of this B&W photo. It’s 1965 as Birmingham was undergoing massive redevelopment. The top floor of the 22 storey Rotunda had been let but very little lower down. This photo illustrates how dominant and striking the Rotunda had become as a landmark. Two shoppers were descending into the depths of one of the many subways created in Birmingham around the same period. Viv.

View attachment 172986

Source: Birmingham Newspaper Archive
Picture from 1963, John.

Attachments

• Rotunda construction 6th April 1963.jpg
    Rotunda construction 6th April 1963.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 23
That picture brings back memories of me going to the Bull Ring with my father on a Saturday morning we would get the 15 or 17 bus by Fosbrook / Hobmoor rd by the old TGWU office .
There were bus conductors in those days with the ticket machine and cash satchel. Also a sliding window at the rear of the drivers cab where the conductor could speak to the driver through.
We would go around the market outside Woolworths to get the fruit and veg, etc Lots of characters worked in the Bull Ring market then.
A different era and very different times

As one comes down the other goes up. Demolition of the Midland side of New Street station in progress during the summer of 1964 as the Rotunda nears completion. The Bull Ring Centre looked drab even then. Beyond, the large illuminated "S' (for Schweppes) was a night time landmark for several years. (courtesy of Birmingham Post & Mail)

(1997) A century of railways around Birmingham and the West Midlands : a personal selection. Vol. 2.

25A93EBD-BFC6-4319-9571-DFFD77E5509B.jpeg

A picture of the Rotunda and the pre development New Street Station (Source Birmingham Mail Nostalgia)

Attachments

• EA239BE1-5980-4F30-8E46-D8F689A70E33.jpeg
    EA239BE1-5980-4F30-8E46-D8F689A70E33.jpeg
    676.2 KB · Views: 22
On the attached two pictures, Ansell’s was at the base of the Rotunda, Coca-Cola was at the top, no dates I’m afraid.

Attachments

• 04A3A689-299C-40C3-8A6E-9EAEF33E0044.jpeg
    04A3A689-299C-40C3-8A6E-9EAEF33E0044.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 20
  • B846A24F-3155-4881-8A9D-5EE4143CC6BC.jpeg
    B846A24F-3155-4881-8A9D-5EE4143CC6BC.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 19
A panoramic shot of Birmingham showing the Rotunda in the centre of the picture

Attachments

• B41AC009-A365-4206-8D00-AE231EBAA5A4.jpeg
    B41AC009-A365-4206-8D00-AE231EBAA5A4.jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 24
Canadian Immigration must have been one of the early occupants of offices in the Rotunda. Is the buikding now all residential ? Viv

Source: British Newspaper Archive View attachment 183404
Viv, You can stay the night in various apartments or rent workspace. The views are spectacular from the upper stories. £399 for tonight Weds 30th Aug. An expensive city break. I visited a friend who was poet in residence. I didn't book in for the night. Derek

https://www.stayingcool.com/rooms/mini-studio/

Wow, a lot of money Derek ! Think I shall pass on that one even if the views are good.

Viv.

Looks like they were starting to construct Attwood House in the space next to the Rotunda where the crane is.

I worked in there in the70s when it was a fairly new building and our fire escape route was out onto the projecting lower level of the Rotunda.

the rotunda looks a bit sad now
consultants to gain planning permission for the recladding of Attwood House, a mixed use 6 story tower building in Central Birmingham, adjacent to the Bull Ring shopping centre and Rotunda office tower In response to the Grenfell Disaster in London in 2017, the RICS developed a new process to survey the cladding external wall system to ensure they meet the newly required fire safety standards
1694262612385.jpeg

Back