• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Villa Tavern

eric that big buiding is called the big peg..no idea why its called that but if i had my way i would hang it out to dry lol..

lyn
Oh dear oh dear and you a Brummie Wench an all.

The Peg is used when cutting or piercing pieces of jewellery. The oeg is the wooden bit in the middle of picture. Occasionally bought with the notch in it but if not the piercing saw soon makes one.

Jewellers Peg.jpg

[video=youtube;AqikSp-yeRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqikSp-yeRA[/video] shows how it is used - sorry could find a better video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ellbrown, no I do not have a twitter account (or face book) I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to PC's but I don't think either would benefit me. Have just read Googles copyright rules and you can download anything for your personal use but must not redistribute it. Well I am downloading it to provide material for a painting, the painting is my work (and I have sole copyright) so I think that's OK, as I have said in a previous post copyright is a very grey and complex subject, after exhibiting over 600 paintings in 40 years I have never had the authentication of my work queried. Eric

Oh dear oh dear and you a Brummie Wench an all.

The Peg is used when cutting or piercing pieces of jewellery. The oeg is the wooden bit in the middle of picture. Occasionally bought with the notch in it but if not the piercing saw soon makes one.

View attachment 90619

[video=youtube;AqikSp-yeRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqikSp-yeRA[/video] shows how it is used - sorry could find a better video.

lol bernie and what makes it worse is my first job was in vyse st ...

Cookie273uk it would be the same if you used a Crown Copyright map!

Assume that you plan on sharing your art somewhere (online / blog / art galleries etc). With your signature somewhere on it? If online, maybe provide a link to Google Street Maps (easily copyable)

The Google view is the same if you used your camera on it any way (other than details on Google being blurry when you zoom in! e.g. plaques / signs).

ellbrown, I no longer exhibit/sell paintings now, at the age of 83 simply have not the stamina or energy required to chase round galleries but still enjoy my art, this particular painting will be donated to our 'meet' raffle at this particular pub like a number of my previous paintings. The last painting I exhibited and sold was in 2006 at the RBSA Gallery. Have done about 60 paintings since mostly for members and simply charged them for framing costs, this gives me a purpose to continue painting. By the way I much admire your photographic skills. Eric

Thanks, glad you like my photos!

Still trial and error, what with experimenting with the settings! Get frustrated when they come of blurred, or not in focus! Some recent ones look really pixelly on zoom in!

Hi Cookie. I was not insinuating that you were going to use the Google picture(s) for any commercial reasons. What you are doing is perfectly O.K I raised the point because there are lots of examples on sites similar to this where contributors have downloaded pictures from sites such as Google and in their ignorance submitted the picture to another website.

Yes, copyright law can be a grey area, until you receive a letter from the offended company's solicitors. Ignorance of the facts carries no weight in law.

That's the boring rubbish out of the way.

Happy painting. Do you know of Ron (Smudge) Smiths work? He painted many well known parts of Brum.

Happy days.

Bob, no offence taken, advice welcome and appreciated. The grey area is when you use the photo as an idea for a painting, maybe deleting or adding details so that it differs from the pic, or make a summer photo into a snow covered winter painting (which I have done more than once). Yes I am aware of 'Smudge' Smith's work and I like it very much, he is what is known as a 'naive' painter (nothing wrong with that, so was Lowry), he certainly brings Birmingham alive and takes you back if you are of that age. Eric

csmith, I am beginning to regret putting the building in the back ground now, even though it is there, I should imagine a couple of decades ago it was not there (it looks new and modern), unfortunately being a watercolour I cannot remove it, not a very forgiving medium, unlike oils or pastels. Eric

csmith, I am beginning to regret putting the building in the back ground now, even though it is there, I should imagine a couple of decades ago it was not there (it looks new and modern), unfortunately being a watercolour I cannot remove it, not a very forgiving medium, unlike oils or pastels. Eric

I think you done the right thing Eric. It's how it looks now and that's how it should be.

i agree with frothy eric.. and.its only a smiggin of the big peg we can see and to be quite honest i never took much notice of anyway...just as an aside my first job was in vyse st at jospeph staintons and in 1985 i thought i would go and visit the old place and see if any of the ladies i worked with were still there..found out that staintons had moved to the big peg by that year..

I am sorry, I was referring to the two photos taken in 2009, compared to the old photo with the houses, I was in no way referring to your lovely painting. Please accept my apologies if I have caused any upset. I am very sorry if I may have been misunderstood all I meant was that I just prefer older architecture than modern. I am very sorry, please forgive my lack of thought. You are extremely tallented and must portray things as you see actually them. I hope you understand what mean.
My best wishes, Chris

csmith604, Please, no apology required and certainly no offense taken, I entirely agree with you (see my post 9), sometimes I leave offending items out (artists licence) sometimes not but I too much prefer the earlier version with the houses. I have completed around 60 paintings for members (half of them pubs) and they are nearly all based on old pics of brum which I much prefer. Over the years I have completed over a 100 paintings of Birmingham and its canals and very few are in a modern setting. As a painter I welcome comments. My late Wife was my biggest critic and I sorely miss her comments. Eric

Last edited:
I've got 3 of them pubs ( The Norton, The Lad In The Lane and The Jeweller's Arms.) and very proud of them too.

I won this painting it is in my office at home and a friend of mine was admiring it only this week. A lovely picture and just as it was. Admittedly the building in the background was an eyesore but it was there when the picture was painted so what. Thanks Eric.

glad you are still enoying erics painting rosie...dont forget our christmas meet up..never know you may win another one:D

lyn

Back